This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
if a ma decided to be a LPN

what if a CMA decided they wanted to be a LPN, is they anyway they could go to school for a short amount of time, or could they go and take the test to get their LPN liecenc and become one

Re: if a ma decided to be a LPN

It depends on what MA classes you have taken. Some may transfer over, like psych and sociology if you took associatae level classes. It would still be a year of clinicals and classes though. You have to lear the nursing process, care plans, different procedures, and do both nursing home and hospital rotations.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA/RMA/LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

this is not likely, you will still prbably have to go for the same length of time because the LPN clases are run by the Ohio board of nursing, and Ma classes are not so the curriculum is different.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? yes

Some of these posts are killing me.

At the end of last term I was feeling pretty good, on login here that mood was quickly shot. I thought about posting then and decided not to.

I am in a 2 year program and two of my classmates are LPNs. So ya'll got me confused. Unless, they really "want" to work with folks vs. doing the backside wipe in the nursing homes. fyi, LPNs here mostly work in nursing homes, few outside of them.

Cheers

Your Professional Title/Credentials: SMA

Are You Working? no

Yes, there are alot of nursing home positions. I currently work Urgent Care, but many LPN's in my area work hospital, clinic, and home health as well.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Working? yes

Hey jeff, LPNs work everywhere, in my city, and if they do work in an nursing home, they don't have to wipe peopleor do any lifting(that's what the nurses aids are for) LPNs pass meds and do treatments and things like that. Not to mention MAs here make crappy pay, and LPNs make great money, so stop being so negative,there is nothing wrong with wanting to move up and better yourself and besides, she was just asking a question... sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? nope..still lookin though

M.A's are trained to work more in clinics whereas LPN's are geared towards hospitals and nursing homes. You still need to go to all of the LPN training unless you have already Psychology or Anatomy or other classes that would transfer. There really is no shortcut.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA,LPN,RN

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

There are no short cuts. How ever, if you had to take anatomy and soc for medical assisting and classes like that you need them for LNP too so those would be out of the way. You still would have to take all the actual LPN courses. My friend was a EMT and is a CPR instructor and he could not get out of any of the program courses either

This is not always true. You have to ask which course credits will transfer to which colleges. I went to a business school...they took all of my community college credits but none of theirs transferred out. I regret taking the easy way out because it turned out to be expensive and now I live in an area where CMA's max out at about $15.00/hr.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA

Are You Working? YES

Here in Ohio you have to take the whole 10 month program. None of your credits transfer because you don't earn credits in the LPN program. So, at least here you have to but 10 months isn't bad compared to 2 years for your MA. I say go for it!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? yes