This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Raising My Value

HI

I finish my MA program April 20 and start my externship march 12- april 20. I am considering going back to school on friday (6-10) and saturdays (9-1) to earn a EKG technician technician also this certificate can be a dual Phelebotomy certificate (saturdays 8:30-1:30). The program for EKG Technician is 4 months and the program for Phelebotomy is 4 months plus an externship, i'm not sure how long the program is if i do the dual certificate, maybe 8 months or less. I know that we learn phlebotomy skills and ekg skills in school but i would like to have more training in it and be certified in that also. Is it possible that if i do this i could raise my value (pay per hour) by doing this or would it be a waste of time? I do want to learn more skills and be more efficient and certified in that. I'm thinking about going into cardiology so maybe this could be helpful what do you guys think?

Are You Still In School? yes I start my externship March 12!!!

Are You Working? NO

Re: Raising My Value

I don't know. In my area, it is assumed that you have already learned those skills in your program. Your CMA certification conveys to them that you have been taught.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA/RMA/LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Check out any phlebotomy message board,such as "Phlebotomy Point" on MSN, and you will see how having certification sometimes means nothing except in California and Louisiana. It IS assumed that you have these skills when you complete an MA program. I really don't think having the extra training means more money,but of course when it comes to drawing blood then it's important that you know what you are doing. From what I have seen of fellow MA students,many did not know anything besides the basics to drawing blood,and that is not enough. If you plan or want to be drawing blood on a regular basis then get the extra training. But that isn't a guarantee of getting a job. My resume says 2 certifications in phlebotomy and one in medical assisting,and I have had so much trouble finding something in this area that it isn't funny.
I would recommend getting the EKG training and certification if that is ALL you want to do. 2 of my MA classmates did their externships in an EKG department and did not get to utilize anything else that they had learned in the program. I don't think cardiology departments will hire anyone without EKG certification,but I could be wrong. If some labs will hire someone off the street to draw blood (and many do),then anything can happen.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: PBT/MA

I was going to say the exact opposite of the above...

I feel that having the additional indepth training in the areas of phlebotomy and EKG on top of what is already taught in the medical assisting program may answer the question asked so many times:

"How can I get hired if everybody wants someone with experience. But how can I get experience if no one hires me?"

If you were an employer ready to hire, which of the two would you consider, if NEITHER had any actual work experience on the job yet? The one fresh out of a 9-12 month medical assistant program, or the one with the same 9-12 month medical assistant program PLUS several months of additional phlebotomy and EKG training (certificate).

And which one, do you think, may just be able to land a little bit of a higher starting salary, or the first raise sooner?

So, I don't know. In my opinion, training and experience count when it comes to today's competitive job market---as well as the benefits of being able to market yourself during the Interview. All this counts.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

thanks you guys!!

i also like drawing blood so i think i will go back for this...it's only on saturdays so it's nothing that would hinder my time...yes we learned the basics of drawing blood using the butterfly method but i want to be able to do more and understand it more

thanks i really appreciate your advice!!!

Are You Still In School? yes I start my externship March 12!!!

Are You Working? NO

My advice is to work toward a degree!!!!!! Being a CMA is a good starting point but you can not make a decent living doing it!!!! Well, I guess you can but I would want to do this forever. I am "feed up" with the whole medical feild thus I am working toward a degree in Mortuary Science. lol

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, DT, CNA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes