This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
salary question

Is there an increased salary for those MAs doing administrative as well as clinical? The programs for taking just clinical is 8 months long, administraive 1 more year (after completing clinical). I figure since it is almost 2 years, a person with that much knowledge would get more money. I think they said it is equivilant to an associates degree. TIA.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MT

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Re: salary question

Your not going to make anymore!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, DT, CNA

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Not here. You get paid more for clinical work. They hire receptionists to do the paperwork in all honesty.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA/RMA/LPN

Are You Working? yes

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY????, with all the knowledge and certificats that a MA EARNS in school the salary is SO low... i live in MS and found a Clinic (FINALLY)in Jackson, which is 50 miles from my home...that employee's MA'S and the starting pay is $8hr and that's for clinical not administrative, but I could start a $9 an hour making appts and doing administrative duties, thats INSULTING...and the Hospitals don't even HIRE Ma's, i was told that if i was a CNA i could go to work IMMEDITALY for $10 in the hospital...i wish the medical profession would REALIZE and utilize this profession more and PAY for the task that we are able to do...

Your Professional Title/Credentials: cma

Are You Working? no

Medical assisting is not the best career choice! I have been doing this for 3 years and only make 15.50/hr. This is really a dead end profession, my advice to anyone is to get a degree and get out of medical assisting if you ever want to make a decent living!

THANKS BRAD T, I JUST thought CMA'S were a NEW and SLOW growing career in MS that would EVENTUALLY take NOTICE, actually thats what i was told from the Advisors of the School i'm enrolled in, BUT thats Exactly what i'm going to do, i've been discourged since i've enrolled in the CMA program, 2 years of School for NO RECOGNITION OR PAY is NOT worth it... I'M going to take the exam's and go n/2 the LPN program.... I JUST NEEDED TO HEAR from some1 who has been in the profession and actually Work'd... again thanks u>>>

Are You Working? no

Good luck Kat!!! I can't wait to get out of medical assisting! You are making a good move by going the LPN route. I'm in a mortuary science program now and I am soooooooooo glad I decided to put the time and money into it! As a Medical Assistant the best salary I would ever be able to make would top out at about 35-40K a year. As a Mortician, I will be starting at no less the 45k. Plus, I will receive a little thing called RESPECT! Again, good luck!!!!!

BEST of luck 2/ya BRADT, u have my RESPECT already, thanks again for the NO BS input. if only EVERY1 would JUS TELL IT LIKE IT "IS"....

Are You Still In School? YES

Are You Working? NO

GET OUT NOW!!!!! Please don't waste your time going for medical assisting, Go for the LPN, or you will end up like me, I jus graduated, found a job that I hate, and, and am making waaayyyy less that the nurse aides in my area, now I have to wait until 2008 to go to LPN school (lucky Me) A friend of mine graduated from a 2 year MA program and she now works at Arby's no lie, so please go to LPN school, it's worth it!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? yes

That bugs me all the people saying "youre wasting your time" Well that is your opinion but how is going to school and learning wasting time? Its all about experiences in life you live and learn might as well try something you are curious in and if you like it good if not owell you tried. If you are trying to better yourself its not a waste of time. Sorry that just bugs me im realistic too but some ppl on here are total downers lol..

I agree with Moira. Over the past weeks the focus has been more on the negative, and the "grass is greener on the other side" topics. I am hoping that once everybody had a chance to vent, the focus will shift back to what the medical assistant career DOES offer and how to advance.

Fact is, not everybody is unhappy. And wages are what they are... that's America... Land of capitalism, and employment at will.

If we were to discuss minimum-wages, unemployment, and labor laws, along with lack of regulation, we'd have to get even deeper into the politics of things, and I think, that would lead to even more (similarly)depressing comments.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

To be politically correct DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!! No matter what anyone says, it's not for the love of a job or career,beacause when you're trying to decide WHAT field to go in to you don't know IF YOU LOVE IT OR NOT, you look at the $$$$ we ALL need to make money and each and every one of us looked into whatever it is we do for a living especially if you have to pay for it and attend college, we ALL checked out THE base SALARY GUIDELINES FIRST....IF IT WAS FOR THE LOVE OF IT WE'D ALL BE WORKING FOR PEANUTS!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: ma/lpn

Are You Working? yes

I will say THIS on behalf of ma's, it's nothing wrong with the career MA, IT'S THE REGUALATIONS OR SHOULD I SAY 'LACK THERE OF', IF ALL INVOLVED WOULD STEP UP THE REGULATORY ASPECTS AND RECOGNIZE how much of an ASSET ma's are, it COULD BE A CAREER that would MAKE you proud to be involved in. Ma's have been around way to long to still be LOW person on the pole. ONCE AGAIN IT SEEMS IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY, not the PRODUCT that's being produced!!!!

Are You Working? yes

All right... so I will stick to the origninal thread topic: salary question -- and not go into this much debated issue whether the medical assisting profession should be more regulated.

It is proven fact that personal improvement leads to personal growth. Likewise, professional improvement leads to professional growth. Call me lucky, or call me smart, but I have never worked for peanuts in my entire career, and each job I did was for the love of it, and money would follow.

I wish I had all the answers for those who are frustrated, undecided, under the cruch, or in a slump.

However, let me share some of my own basic approaches (call them fundamental realizations and awareness) in hopes it serves as a guide, or inspiration.

Here are some of the things I alwasy asked, and known about myself in any of my work situations. Knowing these has helped me tremendously to become competitive, and remain successful; also to get what I want (not just give my boss what he wants) out of my career, including the right salary. All I needed was a chance! Once I had my foot in the door, I was determined to create a true win-win situation. Acutally this worked better in a medical office (smaller area, more individual attention, more influence) than in a larger setting (such as a hospital), but it still does work just about anywhere... if you know....

1. What is a successful person?
2. What does my career mean to me?
3. How do I do my best every day?
4. How can I improve?
5. How do I build rapport with my employer
6. What is "give value first"?
7. What is the best way to add value?
8. How do I find a mentor?
9. What causes my fear of failure?
10. What should I do with my spare time?
11. How can I invest my time, not spend it?
12. What is the best way to impress my boss?
13. How am I helping to build the business?
14. What do I have to do to get ahead?
15. How do I show my value and create awareness of it?
16. What value do I bring beyond my job description?
17. How do I show that I am loyal?
18. How approachable and cooperative am I?
19. What am I "known" for?
20. What am I recognized as being the best for?
21. What do others in the industry say about me?
22. What is the best time and way to ask for a raise?
23. What is the best way to approach my boss?
24. How can I make my request stand out?
25. What is the best way to follow up?

(Drum-roll) And here the Fianl "AHA"!

26. How much do I love what I do?
27. Do I deserve a raise?
28. What does it take to keep me?
29. Do I need a new job elsewhere?

If your boss realizes your value... chances are he will reason with you, and give you what you ask. If not, too bad. Have your resumee always updated and ready and know your value and what you want.

I happen to disagree with lp's comment above:

IF IT WAS FOR THE LOVE OF IT WE'D ALL BE WORKING FOR WHAT WE DESERVE!!!

But knowing, and showing what we deserve is the trick. And letting the boss know that we love what we do, and will NOT work for peanuts.

I agree Danni, but that is a little unrealistic, sometimes you don't have a choice. You have to except what they are willing to pay or not have a job. These people know what worth they place on certain member of the healthcare field. If you are not as important, you are not going to get paid good, flat out. I can't imagine turning down a job because it's not exactly what I want to be paid, I have a family to support!!! Any income is better than no income, but maybe after I get some more experience I can set my own salary a little more, but I really don't know if that's ever going to happen because if you get to ourageous they can always find another applicant who is willing to work for less than you are, so I guess it goes both ways.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA-(AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? nope.. I'm still lookin'

Tay,
I see your situation... and am so, so, sorry that doctors will NOT see you as valuable to them as you really are. Reading your reply, to me, was an eye opener, because I see, your situation is definitely different from mine.

Just like I said, either I was incredibly lucky, or perhaps a little pushy, but I always was able to assert myself as someone who brings valuable skills to the office, but expects to get paid, accordingly.

For example, when salary came up during the interview, I made sure I first had discussed their needs, and how I would meet them. With that info, and knowing my own limits as far as lowest pay, and knowing the going rate, I'd give them my figure---with the request for a review after the probation period.

To make the long story short, I'd start of at a lower rate, let's say $12.50 but made sure I get my review, and 1st raise within the first 3 months (usually $1 dollar), and at the end of the first year $15 with annual reviews.

Also, I did deliver what I promised, and made sure my boss understood my value to the office and his patients.

So, again, either I was just very lucky, and times have changed, or I somehow mastered the art of negotiation and assertion. I am not sure. But I think the most important part is getting the foot into the door, and that's where I completely agree with you, even at a rate that THEY offer. It kind of stinks.

I wish you all the best luck, hopefully the right opportunity will be just around the corner. Don't give up!

Tay, and talking about "don't give up...", I just came across this great motivational video called 212 Degrees.

It may be just the inspiration you need to get the next week and your search off to a more powerful and successful start! The video is awesome...

http://www.212movie.com/

Tay you are correct, it IS take what you can get in a lot of States as far as the Money goes and employment, because so many ma's never get the chance to even be employed. And thats my point, in the State I live in and others surrounding THE ONLY REASON THEY HIRE MA's is because they get 'em CHEEP they get 2 ma's for the price of 1 nurse AND work the ma to their limit with a salary no better than minimum wage, after you sit down and calculate all the time, money and effort you gave to be an ma, then monthly you write out that check for that student loan that will cost you for years to come just to GROSS 20k yearly, and WORK your a$$ off for NET pay that equals basically minimum wage!!!! IT'S SAD!!!

Are You Working? yes

I have to agree with lp here,especially the part about how a lot of MAs "never get the chance to even be employed". Sure,there are a lot of wonderful things about being a medical assistant,and the training and education can be worthwhile at the time,but if the end result is a lot of heartache,then I think this is a field that needs to be researched intensely among all those that are considering going into it. Those that found work quickly (within 3-6 months) may or may not understand what it is like to keep looking and looking and trying and hoping and nothing happens,and luck DOES play a role,I am sorry to say. I am aware that letters like these are a downer,especially to those currently in school,but you can't sit back and think that there are all these jobs waiting out there for you,like you may have been told by your school. What you CAN do is get some assurance NOW that your school will do everything it can to help you to find something,and not just in the weeks after graduating but a year later,if needed.

Are You Working? No,the reason I am writing

I GOT PAID MIMINUM WAGE AT AN OFFICE YUP 5:15 HR

Are You Working? NO NOT IN THIS FEILD

Well y'all I really don't hate being a MA so much anymore (it still isn't going to be my life long career though!) I was promoted to Back Office Manager!! Now I make 18/hr and have A LOT more respect!

Are You Working? yes

Congratulations BradT! That is great! How long had you been working there?

I have worked there for about 3 years

Are You Working? yes

BradT:

Re: "I really don't hate being a MA so much anymore..."

Glad to hear it. Slowly things are coming together. I know you've worked very hard for it, but then again, nobody ever promised a bed of roses.

Good job and I am glad you posted it to keep us, well..., posted! LOL.

Danni

Nate:

Re: " ... 5:15 HR"

Get as much experience as you can while there, but get on the ball with sending out your resumee, to move on ASAP. Getting medical office experience is great, but not at that wage (ever!).

By the way, what are you expected to do for such little pay? Your boss should not be surprised if at that rate he will get more than he hoped for, which sort of goes like this: "Take this job an shove it". Wrong approach, in my opinion.

Danni

"I have worked there for about 3 years "

that's great! While I'm sure it was hard to wait 3 years for a nice juicy promotion, I bet it feels good to have your loyalty and hard work rewarded.

Congrats again.

I have a question.. I've always wondered WHY do Dental Assistants make more money than Medical Assistants? Every time I've researched this topic on the web, it shows Dental Assistants make more.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: medical assistant

Are You Working? no

I am trained in Administrative and Clinical but only ceritifed in clinical (although I perform both positions) I get paid the same as the clinical only medical assistants and even when I got my A.S. they didn not pay me any more. Other areas may be different though.

"I have a question.. I've always wondered WHY do Dental Assistants make more money than Medical Assistants? Every time I've researched this topic on the web, it shows Dental Assistants make more."

Dentists aren't as cheap as doctors when it comes to their employees. Hygenists make more than nurses in my area, as well.

Dentist are cheap at all i work in a dental office greattt payy im actually thinking of takin dental assistant instead of MA much more jobs in those careers n hygenist is they make GREAT money Mabi

Your Professional Title/Credentials: another career

Are You Working? yes

I started out at Clinical but had training in both. When I started working both positions they did not pay me any more; even when I wored Saturdays when it was just me and the Doctor; I checked patients in the took them back in rooms, while the Dr was seeing the patient I would fill Rx and then check the next patient in and work them up; when patient number 1 was done while number 2 was being seen I checked # 1 out and ICD-9 their chart, collected monney ran their insurance card ect; I still did not get paid more. When I got my Associates degree I did not get paid more. When I started the job I was making 7.45 with benifits and hour full time, when I left five years later I was only making 9.00 hr part time with no benifits. I am in nursing school now and I am not looking back.

I loved my Job as a medical assisting, I loved the patients and it was great for getting me into nursing school. Not all people had it bad as me; I talked with some other MA's in the area that worked other places that got paid more; but no-medical assisting is not a job you go into to get rich, or really do more than get by as in my situation. I never regreat a day that I did it. Low pay or not; it was a great experience and now I just have moved on.

someone wrote that they are trained in administrative and clinical, but only certified in one. how can that be?

as for LPN........ i live in the chicagoland area. MAs are the equivalent of an LPN. in fact, i'd say some of us (MAs) are better qualified. LPN is being phased out.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Working? yes

That was me. I only took the certification for Basic and Clinical. I just did not take the administrative exam because it cost more money and I did not plan on doing administrative (although I later started doing both) in my area you do not have to be certifed as administrative; most that do administravite are more like receptionists; they answer phones, make appointments, file, do simple coding, collect co-pays and other monies. Billing is seperate as well as autherization for insurance (unless it is medicaid or medicare- then I do those as a clinical medical assistant, I also do all the faxing as a clinical medical assistant that has gone across the providers desk)

Which exam did you take that would allow anyone to sign up for only the clinical part?

California Certifiying Board for Medical Assistants