This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wanted to Quit! Advice Needed

I started my first job a few months ago in a small primary care office. I was lucky to have been hired without experience at a good starting pay. I work with one MD, a nurse, and an office manager. Last week, the dr chewed me out for rescheduling a pt. after the OM and I discussed that this pt. needed to get his labs done prior to coming in. When the confused pt came in, I was the one who told him we would see him when his lab work came back. After this pt. left is when the dr told me, "...your priority is making sure there are pts here so I can keep writing your paycheck!" The OM heard him chew me out and didn't say a word...she let me take it on the chin for her! I felt my job was in jeopardy at the moment so I shook it off for the day, came home and cried and never brought it up to the md or OM. Obviously, my job description does NOT include making sure I bring enough pts into the office but for now, I'm letting it slide and will be ready to offer a copy of my job description if this ever happens again. I was shocked at his behavior because he has been a decent guy to work for up until now. The nurse told me that's how it's always been with them. THey have a "special" relationship. Being my first office job, I was wondering if others have to put up with this type of office politics? I've been looking in the classifieds lately!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: Wanted to Quit! Advice Needed

Oh boy... talk about the old saying:

"It's not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it".

Have you seen the recent Geico commercial? Take it with an ounce of humor: "Someone must have gotten out of bed on the wrong side of the rock."

Anyway, there is no excuse for lack of tact when an employer corrects the action of an employee. We all understand the function and responsibility if the MA is to keep the patient flow going, and assist the doctor in any way we can as long as it is within our scope of practice. As long as the doctor makes money, you have a job.

Goes to show, medicine is no longer done for an apple and an egg like in the old "horse and buggy" days. Today's medical practice and healthcare system is a business. And sadly, the medical office staff, such as medical assistants, and medical coders and billers, are the doctor's key to getting paid.

I guess, that's what the doctor was trying to tell you, but he forgot to check his attitude. He could have said it in a nicer way. I am sure you would have "gotten" it.

Hang in there. You will learn to brush off these medical office quirks and incidences as you season in the profession. If you are serious about looking for a new job there are THOUSANDS of medical assistant job listings that MUST be filled right here:

http://www.medicalassistant.net

Look for the orange box labeled "Find a Job". You can't miss it. It our latest feature and service for medical assistants.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

Rena,
Office politics exist in every workplace. Whether you work at a small design agency or a major financial corporation, internal power struggles invariably arise. But you don't need to be a master manipulator to get ahead; you simply must learn how to navigate murky waters. Read this great article titled Office Politics Explained, with tips how to deftly handle such situations:

http://www.medicalassistingcareer.com/office_politics_sticky.htm

I know you will enjoy reading this and be better equipped next time this happens to you.

Danni

Danni,
Thanks for putting it all in perspective. I guess someone DID wake up on the wrong side of the rock that day. (which happens to be placed in a waterfront home...but hey! I've got to bring in enough money for MY paycheck!) I don't really want to start the job hunting process again and I don't want to get caught up in the 'grass is greener' delusion either. I'm a straight-up employee and quite naive when it comes to office politics. That article was insightful. My husband supports our family through a business and I certainly get that patients are the customers. My clinical instructor made sure we understood the business aspect of a medical office.

Rena

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Rena, and now you've just taken the first important step of growing into the profession:

Leaving your feelings of a "divine calling to help the sick" behind, and recognizing the medical practice as a business, and the patient as a customer. I know it's sad, and it takes a little moment to digest. Not that I say it should be that way, but sadly, that's how it is.

I am sure e've all been there.

From your post it looks you are making the right decision. Get your year or two experience under your belt, and then, should the situation not improve, go for it if something better comes along. Don't just quit on the spur of the moment, but plan you career path! I will only get as good as YOU make it.

Danni

Correction: It will only get as good as YOU make it.

Danni