This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stinky Perfume.YIKES!

This is my First job working as a MA,and I love it and as some of you all may know in the clinical area there is close body contact with one another well at least at the Office that I am. The other nurse that is training me, and whom I will be working with is wearing a Fragrance that is causing me to SNEEZE and Have watery Eyes, I've only been at this job for a week, so I don't want to seem "UNFISHY" but I can't take it, what should I do??????????

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA,R Pbt.

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Just Hired

Re: Stinky Perfume.YIKES!

If it is bothering you, think of what it may do for patients! Maybe you could ask what the clinic policy is for dress, makeup, perfumes etc and go from there.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA/RMA/LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

I know that you are'nt supposed to wear any, maybe a light fragrance lotion is suitible,I'm just afraid to say anything she's been there for over 10 years! I know thats not an excuse, so I'm going to have to say something, because I came home today with a Banging Migraine due to it! Thank you for responding!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA,R Pbt.

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Just Hired

It seems your coworker does not realize that her perfume is too strong. Maybe you can bring up the topic regarding an article you read about 'perfumes and patients with asthma and allergies. Also when patients are nauseas and smell a strong odor it can increase their nausea.
If your coworker doesn't seem interested in changing or hostile about chaning, then you have the decision to talk to office manager. If the issue is not resolved and it is affecting you physically perhaps you can get a letter from your doctor or even look for new employment.
I work in an urgent care center and it is not the staff that wears strong colognes but the patients!!!..usually the older patients. The perfume smells like 'bug spray"...I usually have to open up a side door to get some fresh air in.

todays tip: if you perfume/cologne lingers in a room/area...long after you left the room..it is way too strong!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: lpn

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

Great responses! I hope Rita finds a way to politely bring this situation to the nurse's attention. I know... the hardest part sometimes is "How do you start?" Just remember, it never is WHAT you say to someone, but HOW you say it.

My professor once told me, that one way to start off a tricky conversation, where you JUST DON'T KNOW how to start, or what the reaction might be with a polite question. Here are the "magic words".

"May I ask you one question?".

When you ask people for their permission to ask them a question, it immediately opens them up and breaks the ice in an akward situation.

She very likely will say "Yes". Then you could ask her about the perfume she is wearing: "I've noticed you are wearing a certain kind of perfume. Which is it?"

And I bet you will get the conversation right to where you will make your point. "Oh, I didn't know it is [XXX] brand. Unfortunately, though, it's setting off my allergies".

Presto! You've made your point ina very kind, and caring manner. Now who could get upset over that????

Danni