This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help On Understanding a Part of The MA SCOPE????

Not sure if anyone has covered this before. I am new to the site, loving it so far. I have a question about the Medical Assistant "MA" SCOPE. In my class we have been taught that one of the things that we can do is do injections and bloo withdrawls, but then we were told under no cercumstances can we do IV's. I was wondering why that is? Since we were told it is because we as MA's are not suppose to be injecting patients with anything wouldn't that be the same thing as gfiving them shots since your still giving them medication whats the diffrence??? Thanks for your time. Off to study for a test.

Lori Ann.

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? no

Re: Help On Understanding a Part of The MA SCOPE????

Well there is alot more risk with IV's. There is a risk of phlebitis, embolism, infiltration, fluid overload, speed shock, etc. You are directly in a vein which leads right to your heart, where as subcutaneous or intramuscular is not as risky and the absorption is slower. Plus anything you give IV acts very quickly, so reaction to an adverse effect must be swift.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

This part of the scope varies from state to state. Here in maryland we can start and maintain IV lines (Doc must be somewhere in the building) and admin. IV drugs during a procedure ( the DOC must be in the room with u) and we can also admin IV contrast as well.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, DT, CNA

Are You Working? yes

Alot of states will let you do anything under the physicians liscence, regardless of what the scope of practice says. There is a very fine line with MA's. It can really be a potentially dangerous situation not having across the board regulations.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/LPN

Are You Working? yes

True it can be! The office I work in only hires MA's with degrees.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, DT, CNA

Are You Working? yes