This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Working while on externship

Hey I just have a question when some of you went for your externship did you still have a job and work plus your externship or did you quit your job? I doubt the employer would let you go on the externship then come back i doubt that is an option so Im just wondering what is going to happen around that time and what people do about this situation.. Thanks

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: Working while on externship

Originally I intended to work all the way through medical assistant school and then look for a job upon graduation.

I quickly realized I had too much on my plate. Since I wanted to graduate with good grades, and therefore, increase my chances to getting hired, I quit my job three months into my first semester. By the time my externship came around, that's all I had to worry about.

I did everything I could to excel, learn, and shine, and was quickly hired. Although money was always short during that time, it was well worth the "sacrifices" for me.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Okay yeah i know what you mean. I think id still wanna keep my job I kinda need to pay for classes(other things) but it would be nice to just concentrate on that. Has anyone done both?

I go to school during the day and work part time nights and weekends.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Working? yes

At my school, we went to externship during class time which was in the morning, so the people who had jobs, didn't really have much change in their schedules. Do you know what times you will be out on externship, and if it will clash with your work schedule, maybe you can work externship around our work schedule, if it is absolutely immpossible for you to quit, see if your school will work out a flexible schedule for you, One girl in my class had to go to externship all the way up until the day before graduation because she couldn't quit her job,but she completed her hours and graduated so see if something can be worked out with your job, or with school. Good luck

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? nope

Ohhh. I look up to those who manage their school, job, and family. I believe it is an incredible achievement to do this for any length of time, let alone almost a year, or more.

Those new graduates who have done that, should definitely stress the fact how hard they worked to achieve their goal.

If I were one of the interviewers, I definitely would be very impressed, and would be willing to overlook the perpetual "lack of experience cycle" in favor of the person's determination, dependablility, attitude, and personality!!!! On top of it, good grades, and letters of recommendation would be the icing on the cake.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

The fact that I am in school with a very high GPA, work, have 2 kids, am a den mother for their cub scouts, and help teach at the college has gotten me several scholarships as well. It is definately recognized!I haven't paid anything out of pocket in 3 years.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Working? yes