This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Not an MA question but......

You know how with our training that whenever we are in the position of being a patient ourselves,we see things that we know just aren't right? First let me pose this question-what would happen if a patient asked for some samples and we not only go get them without checking with a doctor first,but we give that patient the first dose? We would be in a LOT of trouble,even if permission was granted to give out the sample. I haven't forgotten the day we learned and practiced how to dispense medications. It's a risky procedure.
So I am feeling uneasy over what happened at a dentist last week. I had not been told I was getting my teeth cleaned,in fact I had asked the doctor at the consult if any procedure was going to be done at the following appointment and he said no. Had he said yes I would have asked for a prescription for antibiotics,but he said it would be more talking and planning and examining. So I was surprised after arriving to be taken for a cleaning. I happen to mention about the antibiotics after the hygenist started and she had to stop,acting somewhat ticked,and I pointed out where I had written "MVP" on my medical history sheet. I guess I should have written "MUST HAVE ANTIBIOTICS BEFORE ANY PROCEDURE" in very large letters.
She goes and gets me 2 cleomycin,which she gives to me from the palm of her hand. All this time I am feeling very foolish, like she blamed me. The dentist came in then and said cleomycin is not the drug to give but amoxicillin. I was asked repeatedly if I was allergic to any drug. This was AFTER taking what was handed to me. Again,I was made to feel very embarrassed,since I thought I had just swallowed 2 pills for nothing. It wasn't until I got home that I realized that she must have gone and gotten those 2 pills without asking him first.
So my question is-is it in the scope of a dental hygenist's practice to dispense medications like that? I don't know any to ask and don't know of any dental message boards. I am asking here because of all the information I have gathered from this board about a lot of things other than in the field of medical assisting. Any comments would be appreciated. This is a new dentist and I am considering not going back.

Re: Not an MA question but......

I don't know if it is within their scope of practice, but an incident report definately should have been issued. Not only did she have a med error, she did not get an order from the physician prior. You should be able to go on your state liscensing website and file a complaint if you can get the name of the hygenist.
They should know what MVP means and how they need to respond to it.
Also, handing you pills in the palm of her hand? That is what med cups are for!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Thanks for always being so reliable,Tracy.

Marie....Dental hygenist are allowed to give meds with a Doc's order (this is true for the state of maryland anyway). I don't think they can give any kind of med, but she was within her scope of practice giving you the type of med she did. Although, she did give the wrong med and she gave it to you in the wrong manner. Dental hygenists are lic so I'm sure there could be some action taken against her. Most likely she would get a written warning since no harm came to you by her action. The only question I have for you is why did you take the med? I wouldn't take anything from someone's palm and futhermore I would make sure that the I am being given is really waht I should have! I'm not blaming you but for your saftey these are steps you should take to protect yourself in the future!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, DT, CNA

Are You Working? yes

BradT, I completely agree with you, in theory, yes! Goes to show the psychology, and vulnerabilities of even the most educated people, on the flip side of the coin.

Even medical doctors might have reacted in the same manner in a similar case scenario. Once you wear the patient's gown your persona, and needs are different.

Of course she knew better, of course she heard that little voice, of course she felt bad, nevertheless, at that moment she submitted herself to the person in authority, and accepted the treatment! Entire studies have been conducted on similar situations, and reactions of people. Why did the woman allow a stranger into her house? Why did the father of five seek out dangerous adventures like bungee-jumping? Why did the girl next door pick up a hitchhiker? Why don't we speak up when we should? Don't we all hear that little voice? And then the rational thinking mind just flies out the window? There are no answers, it's human nature.

There is a very powerful lesson in this story! I am glad Marie posted this eye-opener here for us. We can learn a lot from it.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

I agree Danni. There was a 20/20 report on people that were "supposedly"inflicting pain on others because they were told to by someone of supposed higher authority- it was a study. It's amazing how the mind works!
You're welcome Marie. I hope you feel solace in however you decide to respond to this.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/LPN

Are You Working? yes

Tracy, it's a horrible thing to imagine, and hard to relate to until the shoe is on your own foot. Marie already said she felt bad, because she recognized, as a professional, things weren't right, but in her situation as the patient (role reversal) her mind worked different.

I am not kidding! And I know you must have seen it yourself: even the most eductated experience similar embarassing moments when roles are reversed, only to ask themselves later, why they didn't speak up.

Even I have been there! For example, during my last blood draw. I didn't say anything, either, although I thought that I should have, and wondered, why I didn't.

It's totally human nature. As medical assistants, we need to always remember that just because the patient didn't say anything, it didn't mean we did things right.

Thank you for your comments and understanding, Danni. I was afraid you were going to delete my post since it was kind of off-topic.

As you said,you can constantly be on your toes as a worker but when placed in the position of being a patient,all clear thinking can go out the window. You find yourself trusting those who are servicing you,and being compliant. The average phlebotomy patent never questions the person doing the blood draw. They assume the blood collector is either a nurse or even licensed,and never asks what all the tubes will be tested for. If they happen to notice that there was no handwashing or gloves,most don't say anything because they don't want to "make waves",but most of the time you don't absorb that stuff until later,when it "hits you" what was done improperly. That's because you are caught up in the moment of having a medical procedure done on you.

It's easy to lose your bearings if you are feeling deeply embarrassed. As I said,I felt like I was the one being blamed. When handed the pills,it was all a blur and I was just trying to be agreeable. It wasn't until LATER that I thought "Wait a minute,she gave them to me from her hand." But even if I HAD noticed it,would I have insisted she get me new pills from a pill cup? Probably not. Most of us try not to act in any way difficult or challenging because we know it can give us a reputation. We've seen the patients that are acting angry and verbal and they make us uneasy.

Thanks for all comments. I have decided not to return to this dentist,especially after receiving a large bill and not once did he look in my mouth.

Marie,
nice summmary of exactly what I was trying to say!

To complement, here is an interesting article I just stumbled across on the Internet:

Poor sleep clouds moral judgement

The brain needs rest to function
A couple of sleepless nights can cloud a person's moral judgement, study findings suggest.
Army researchers found soldiers struggled to make snap decisions in emotionally charged situations after being deprived of sleep for two nights.

The authors say this could be important for other professions, including doctors, who have broken sleep and need to make quick decisions in a crisis.

Read complete article at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6453247.stm

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin