This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Medical Assistant Interview Q's and A's for Your Assignment

Here is some help for those who must write a research assignment/interview with a medical assistant as a part of a financial aid requirement, or as a homework assignment.

These interviews usually consists of a list of easy questions, and short answers.

Anybody who can contribute as little as ONE SHORT ANSWER: please copy the entire text from below the dotted line, starting with 1).

Next, paste the entire copy in a new post with your your answer added in the right place.

DON'T FORGET to include the long dash (— ) and a space right in front of your contribution. It might be helpful to place a new (— ) right below your response, as a place holder for the next person.

Do your best to keep the list in order, and in the same format.

This is a group effort! Permission to use this text in an essay, or homework assignment is granted by the authors.

1) What are your job duties?
— Maintain patient’s safe passage in and out of the clinic, and ancillary services.
— Greet, assess and interview patients.
— Obtain past medical and surgical history, family history, social history, vital signs.
— Review present medications, allergy history, chief complaint, and brief interrogation of complaint.
— Act as a liaison between doctor and patient.
— Explain medication, side effects, treatments, diets, diseases and disease processes.
— Update medication list and current problem list.
— Prepare and assist patients for examination, treatment, or procedure by medical staff.
— Anticipate needs of patients, and the doctor under whom I work.
— Monitoring of patient during examination, or procedure.
— Maintain and update level of skill for pertinent medical assistant duties.
— Maintain patient care areas.
— Stocking and ordering of supplies as needed.
— Charge and code supplies, medications, and procedures.
— Respond to patient’s concerns in person or by telephone while simultaneously documenting the problem.
— Maintains patient confidentiality.
— Participate in training and skills development of new medical assistants.

2) What are your vacation/sick day benefits?
— We have PTO: paid time off, that is used for vacation, holiday, sick etc.. use how you see fit. It is earned according to how many hours you've put in.

3) What are the advantages and disadvantages of your job?
— Advantages, get to do alot of patient care,labs etc...

4) Do you like your job?
— Love it.

5) What do you like most about your job (two things)?

6) What do you like least (two things)?

7) Would you apply for this job if you could live your life over again?
— Of course, I have been there 8 years.

8) How did you get this job?
— Just filled out an application - there was an ad in the local newspaper.

9) What education and/or work experience was needed to qualify for this position?
— Graduation from an accredited medical assistnat school and certification.

10) Entry-level pay?

11) Pay increases when?

12) Pay after three years?

13) Are you evaluated on your job performance?
— Yes

14) If yes, how often?
— Annuallly

15) If yes does this evaluation affect your pay?
— Yes, but there also is a cost of living increase, no performance raises.

16) If you could improve your job what would you change about it?
— Nothing really, I love it.
— More pay.
— More benefits.

17) What career advice would you give me?
— Experience as much as you can in school, so you can go into a job with confidence and self-esteem.
— Be a team player and advocate for your patients. Healthcare is a wonderful career!

18) Would you recommend this occupation?

19) Is this occupation in demand? Why/why not?

20) Do you keep an updated resumee on file?
— Yes, I always add any new experiences, such as specialized training, volunteer work, and letters of recommendation to my file so I have it all in one place should I need it.

21) What facilities in your area employ Medical Assistants?
— Mostly the larger physician group practices, some smaller family physician offices, occasionally a podiatrist, or eye doctor, and two larger hospitals.

22) Are you expected/required to participate in continuing education (annual CEU's)?
- No, not directly by my employer, but indirectly, yes; by the AAMA, so I can keep my certification.
— No, but I must sttend required staff training, emergency training, and OSHA training sessions, as well as staff meetings as long as I am in this office.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: Medical Assistant Interview Q's and A's for Your Assignment

1) What are your job duties?
— Maintain patient’s safe passage in and out of the clinic, and ancillary services.
— Greet, assess and interview patients.
— Obtain past medical and surgical history, family history, social history, vital signs.
— Review present medications, allergy history, chief complaint, and brief interrogation of complaint.
— Act as a liaison between doctor and patient.
— Explain medication, side effects, treatments, diets, diseases and disease processes.
— Update medication list and current problem list.
— Prepare and assist patients for examination, treatment, or procedure by medical staff.
— Anticipate needs of patients, and the doctor under whom I work.
— Monitoring of patient during examination, or procedure.
— Maintain and update level of skill for pertinent medical assistant duties.
— Maintain patient care areas.
— Stocking and ordering of supplies as needed.
— Charge and code supplies, medications, and procedures.
— Respond to patient’s concerns in person or by telephone while simultaneously documenting the problem.
— Maintains patient confidentiality.
— Participate in training and skills development of new medical assistants.

2) What are your vacation/sick day benefits?
— We have PTO: paid time off, that is used for vacation, holiday, sick etc.. use how you see fit. It is earned according to how many hours you've put in.

3) What are the advantages and disadvantages of your job?
— Advantages, get to do alot of patient care,labs etc...

4) Do you like your job?
— Love it.

5) What do you like most about your job (two things)?
— Knowing that people love to come to our office for help, and the feeling of doing something good for our community.

6) What do you like least (two things)?
— The stress, and time pressure, when patients are booked too tight, and the doctor is already behind.

7) Would you apply for this job if you could live your life over again?
— Of course, I have been there 8 years.

8) How did you get this job?
— Just filled out an application - there was an ad in the local newspaper.

9) What education and/or work experience was needed to qualify for this position?
— Graduation from an accredited medical assistnat school and certification.

10) Entry-level pay?

11) Pay increases when?
— Only when I remind the doctor how long it's been since my last raise, what I have done for the office, and that it's time for a review.

12) Pay after three years?
— $16.50/hr

13) Are you evaluated on your job performance?
— Yes
— Not officially, but I know the doctor and office manager are watching.

14) If yes, how often?
— Annuallly

15) If yes does this evaluation affect your pay?
— Yes, but there also is a cost of living increase, no performance raises.

16) If you could improve your job what would you change about it?
— Nothing really, I love it.
— More pay.
— More benefits.

17) What career advice would you give me?
— Experience as much as you can in school, so you can go into a job with confidence and self-esteem.
— Be a team player and advocate for your patients. Healthcare is a wonderful career!

18) Would you recommend this occupation?

19) Is this occupation in demand? Why/why not?

20) Do you keep an updated resumee on file?
— Yes, I always add any new experiences, such as specialized training, volunteer work, and letters of recommendation to my file so I have it all in one place should I need it.

21) What facilities in your area employ Medical Assistants?
— Mostly the larger physician group practices, some smaller family physician offices, occasionally a podiatrist, or eye doctor, and two larger hospitals.

22) Are you expected/required to participate in continuing education (annual CEU's)?
- No, not directly by my employer, but indirectly, yes; by the AAMA, so I can keep my certification.
— No, but I must sttend required staff training, emergency training, and OSHA training sessions, as well as staff meetings as long as I am in this office.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

I am using this interview for my class and I need the name of the person in the answers. Could I get a first and last name for my paper?
Mel

Are You Still In School? yes

Mel, The person may be fictitious since Danni R. is the owner of this web-site. As long as you give credit to her, I am sure it would be OK to use.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA Certified Phlebotomist Certified X-Ray tech CNA

Are You Still In School? Will complete my BSN Dec. 08

Are You Working? yes. hospital ER

My teacher just seen this and told me that I can not use this interview for my assignment because it was not actually MY interview. If it were I still need the full last name of the person responding..

Can anyone help me with this? I would ask the same questions about medical assistants, except that I need the response to be addressed to me personally and would need their full name..I would so appreciate it if anyone could help.. My assignment is due soon and havent had luck finding anyone to interview.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: student

Are You Still In School? yes