This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CNAs and STNAs

I'm pretty sure you can answer this one Tracy-What is the difference between the two? That is in terms of training (how long),duties and pay. And what exactly is this new title I am seeing,"Certified Medication Assistant", and why is it always aimed at CNAs only?

Re: CNAs and STNAs

A Certified Medication Assistant is a CNA who has worked in long term care (ie_ nursing home) and has passed a test in order to pass routine meds. They are certified by the state board of nursing and have recertify every 2 years ( I think its every 2). A STNA could mean a student nurse or a nursing assistant who has work in a nursing home for a few years and functions as a team leader. Or it could mean a student nursing assistant.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA, DT, CNA

Are You Still In School? yes

I'm guessing STNA is state tested nursing Aide. I think it depends on where you are in terms of what term they use. What type of jobs are you looking at where they are looking for CNA's? Is it hospital or nursing home?
CNA's have specified training in assisting patients with their activities of daily living. They are trained in bathing, dressing, range of motion excercises, emptying catheters and measuring I&O, oral care, making hospital beds, those types of things. It is a different type of training.
CNA courses are offerd at many places. Most schools offer 8 week programs which is something one may consider to do over the summer between CMA classes. It is a quick program and one can be state certified in a matter of weeks. This would allow you to work in the healthcare field while finishing up MA studies.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA/LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

An STNA is a state tested nurse assistant. A CNA is a certified nurse assistant. They are EXACTLY the same; they are simply called STNAs in California and, I think, a couple other states.

CNAs absolutely CANNOT administer meds without additional training, testing, and certification: the certified medication aide (CMA). In my state only CNAs who hold an unencumbered certification for at least one year are qualified to take the medication aide course.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA