This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
medical asst certification or ass degree program

I am interesting in becoming a ma .There is two schools in my area i am thinking of attending.One offers a medical asst degree program for 19 months and cost $26,000 and u become cma with a degree in medical asst.The other cost $12,000 and is a certification program and u becoma cma in 11 months but no degree.I am trying to see which is better.I tried to get in a lpn program but they have 3 years waiting list in my area.If i decide to futher my career in the future and become a lpn or rn would geting a degree help me or it doesnt matter...Please help.....I dont want to waste money and get the same results........

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no

Re: medical asst certification or ass degree program

Well, with the associate in medical assisting, you would have some of the general classes out of the way such as English Comp, Psych, sociology etc. If you decided to go back for an ADN you wouldn't have to repeat those. Will you make more money as a CMA through a certificate vs degree program? No according to previous posters.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

If I were you I would not go for the associate's degree, because you are planning on furthering your eduction why spend all the money when you won't use it for that long. Also you don't need a degree to be a medical assistant and most places will not pay you any more. And make sure, if you do go to the two year program that your general education clases will transfer to the nursing program, because nursing programs are run by your states department of nursing, and MA classes are not so you may run in to trouble. Also, before you go into MA make sure there is a demand in your area for MAs check your local paper, and call around, to make sure, you don't want to go through the program and not be able to find a job!! On another note, 12,000 and 26,000 sounds like an awful lot to become an MA, my program only costed $4000 for everything, including supplies like stethescope and blood pressure cuff. Check around and make sure that the school has a good reputation, there are alot of vulture schools out there waiting to take advantage of a student. Make sure you choose carefully, employers know which schools don't put out good staff and you may suffer if you go to one of them, a friend of mine graduated from an MA school with a horrible reputation in my city, She went for two years, graduated, then spent the next year looking for a job. She now works at Arby's(the fast food place) No Lie !!!! So make sure you find out all you can about a school before spending your money with them. Just go with your gut and choose carefully, but remember that a two- year degree is not neccessary to "get your foot in the door". Good Luck!!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? nope

I got my certificate first. In the process of getting set up to apply for nursing school (which I am now in a BSN program) I ended up getting my AS in medical assisting. I have worked at the same office as when I graduated from medical assisting school. Want to know how much more they paid me when I finally got my AS?...............not a cent more!

Yeah they say in my school theres not a difference to employeers hiring you so it wouldnt matter getting a job as a medical assistant with a certificate then an associates degree. Id go for the certificate, shorter and cheaper and thats what most are doing in my classes.

or*** sorry i was rushing

Thank u guys so much......I was really trying to figure that one out....I am gonna go register for the certification program.I will be starting classes in 3 weeks...