This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Just wondering-

Is there anybody over the age of 40 going back to school? I turned 42 in Feb and will be going back to school on 29 May for the Medical Assistant Program. I really hoping that there will be other students around my age.

Re: Just wondering-

Don't count on it,but there should be at least one other in your age group. I was the oldest in my class 2 years ago (and hated that!) at 45 and there was one other near my age,at 40. All the rest were in their 20s.
But at least one thing that will happen is that the rest should look up to you.

There was a woman in my class who was 42 but she studied hard and did really well. She was one of the smartes students, but I think she felt a little uncomfortable at times because the oldest student under her was 34!! But I think you age is a good advantage, you are probably more mature and ready to concentrate on your studies. Also employers may think you are going to be more stable since you are older.I think you should do just fine!! Good luck

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? nope.. I'm having a HARD time,but still lookin......

Im 34, but in my ADN program we have a few in their 50's. We are also getting more men into the program than years past :)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Hi,

In the fall I will start the Medical Assisting course at our local community college. This a a two year course and when I finish I will have an Associate in Applied Science Degree. I am fifty years old and I love everything about the health field. I am a CNA l, CNA ll, and Monitor Tech and I love it, and the thought of learning more is wonderful. When I finish in two years, I wil be a multi-skilled professional, and I feel that my worth to me will be just as highly regarded as a LPN or an RN because I worked just as hard to get my degree as they did. So go for it, I worked at the local hospital as a CNA in the extended care unit and yes it was hard work, but to see the smile on those people's faces when you treat them with respect and kindness is well worth it. So what that I had to wipe bottoms, someone may have to wipe mine some day and I only hope they will treat me as well with the same respect and kindness.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CNA l, CNA ll, Monitor Tech

Are You Working? no

I am just finishing up my first year this spring. In our class of 18, 4 of us are car pooling in the Fall we are all over 40. I can count at least 2 others who are over 40.

Don't let the age thing bother you.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: working on it

Are You Working? no

When I went through my medical assisting program I turned 21. There was one student in my class that was 19; all the others were 40 and above.

Where I am starting on June 4th the oldest student in Medical Assisting classes is 65 The youngest is 16, she comes to night school after being in high school during the day.

this is just a reply to Amys post. What state do you live in and what are the laws? Here you have to be 18 to be a Medical Assistant since you are dealing with medication, immunizations ect.

I'm in TN. She won't be a medical assistant until a little bit after she turns 18. She timed it GREAT. I don't know how much she's allowed or not allowed to do in class, or if there are rules about that sort of thing while still in school, I didn't ask.

Tuesday is the "big" for me. Its a happy/scared feeling. Its more like"first day of school" jitters. I am sure once I get into the class on Tuesday, I will see how silly my fear is. Its been a long time since I have been in school. This is what I want to do and that is half of the battle.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Former CNA

Are You Still In School? Student MA starting 29 May 07

Are You Working? Part-time Dispatcher

Hope you had a great first day of school! How did it go?