This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1st week of clinical....HELP!

Well...I just got done my first week of clinical! What can i say other than...OMG! I'm not sure how i feel about it. I like the people I work with, so far all have been so nice. BUT I'm overwhelmed! I think its all the paperwork and filling out the prescriptions. Now, I don't fill them out but I see the nurses doing this and first i wonder how can they even read the witting and secondly how can you remember all those drugs? I'm in family practice and there are a lot of prescriptions being written out and i just freak out thinking how can i ever do this! And the paperwork...how do you even know what to do..lol Its a fast paced office and i work with a different nurse and Dr. everyday. So i am seeing so much all at once and maybe that's whats so overwhelming right now. Do you know of a website that would help? Like common meds and things like that? I just feel so stupid and i passed with all A's in school. Any suggestions on how to cope and get through the next 6 weeks would be greatly appreciated!!

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Re: 1st week of clinical....HELP!

Amy2214, I hear you!!! I remember those times... we probably have all been there once. You asked for some self-study resources on the web. I happen to have exactly what you need... check out these websites!!!

1. Medical Assistant Pharmacology

Review of important areas in the study of pharmacology as it applies to situations typically encountered in a medical office.
http://www.mapharm.com

2. Medical Assistant Exam Help

Educational reviews, study notes, and reference material for medical assistants who are preparing for examinations.
http://www.maexamhelp.com

3. Medical Assistant Site

A quick run-down of the medical assistant's training options for those who are contemplating a career in medical assisting.
http://www.medicalassistantsite.com

4. New Medical Assistant

Introduction to the medical assistant's role in a medical office, with many tutorials to review medical assisting skills.
http://www.newmedicalassistant.com

5. Phlebotomy Pages

Highly informational website for those interested in phlebotomy and the art of venipuncture as a new career.
http://www.phlebotomypages.com

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

Just stick in there and don't be afraid to ask questions, it will get easier as you get used to your surroundings. Also if you having trouble with your confidence, review some of your text books, to help you brush up on your skills. Just jump in tehre and always be willing to help. Try to absorb as much knowledge as possible, and don't get discouraged, do the best job that you can, so you can use the office as reference,or better yet, get a job offer!!! Good Luck.. I'm sure you're doing great!!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA-(AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? nope.. I\'m still lookin\'

Tay is right... it is proven fact, the best way to learn, and retain what you have learned, is by interacting directly with people, and by doing!!!! So take Tay's advice.

Doing and learning, THAT's the reason for the externship. You are by far not expected to "run the office". You are there to observe, ask questions, and refine the skills you was taught in school.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

Thanks Danni and Tay....I have been reading those links you provided and they help.

I'm hoping people will post their exp in clinical and tell me some tips and pointers on how they survived.

Also, I'm in family practice now but may change to orthopedics to finish my clinical. BUT i was wondering, would it be better to finish in family practice to get alot of info for the certification or would it be ok to go to ortho and still get the knowledge i need for certification? What would you do if you could choose between the two?

Are You Still In School? Yes

Are You Working? No

Any new situation is hard. I remeber worring that I would never beable to do all my vitals and get a patient back into a room in less than five minutes! I remember when I got my first job after medical assisting school. I went to bed at 5pm for the first two weeks. Now I am in nursing school and all those old feelings are comming back, they gave me an additional patient to take care of and I felt over welled. How to get baths, physical assessments and meds all done in a timely manner for two patients....and most nures have five If I think 2 is hard how will I ever make it as a real nurse?? Then I reminded myself how overwelmed I once felt as a medical assistant and how after a few short months I was able to get patients back in a room in less than five minutes vs. how I would get one back in no more than five.
Hang in there, I speak from experience, it will get easier.