This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Back in to the field

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to get back in to the MA field. I completed a MA program in Virginia in 2001. However, I did not go into the field really ( I work in behavioral healthcare) because I got promoted at my job while I was in the program. I really want to get back in the field of Medical Assisting. I have done patient care, and vitals while in behavioral healthcare, but no clinic or labs. I am also studying to take my CMA exam. How can I gain more experiance since being out of the field soo long?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Residential Counselor, MA cert pending

Are You Still In School? College

Are You Working? yes, but not as a MA

Re: Back in to the field

Try calling around to see if you can do an externship at a doctor's officer, hospital, or clinic. Many places will not turn down the free help, and you would be getting alot of really good hands on experience!! Try finding somewhere that will let you do both front desk work, and clinical work so that you can brush up on all your skills, and ask tons of questions while you are there!! Employers look at externship as experience so it will look good on your part that you took the initiative to find and set up your own externship, this will also make up for you being out of the loop for so long,and give you current training. Also, go to the library, and try to find some medical assisting books,or if you still have your textbooks use those to read up on your skills and brush up!( I hope this is possible for you because it sounds like a good plan to me.) Good Luck.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA-(AAMA)

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? nope.. I\'m still lookin\'

Getting back into the field after a number of years is indeed a challenge. How about a simple online refresher course such as I'm offering to people in your situation here? That's in addition to Tay's suggestions, which were excellent!

Basics of Medical Language and Terminology
http://class.universalclass.com/medlanguage

Medical Assisting: Fundamentals of Patient Care
http://class.universalclass.com/medicalassistant

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

I am a member of a local chapter which is connected to a statewide. I get news letters, CEU opprotunites (via monthy meetings and short tests in the news letters) If you have one in your state contacting them would be a good place to start. Before I took my boards I took a review class throught my chapter. If you are in california here is the web site. If not try looking for one with a similar name but with your states name.
http://www.cmaa-ca.org/

I am currently in the same situation. I received my MA certificate in Calif in 1990, worked until 1997 after my youngest child was born and have been a stay at home mom ever since. I don't live in Calif any longer. I have been on the internet looking for "refresher courses", in Mich there is no such thing. But, I never thought about doing another externship, Hm. I'll try it! Thanks!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? no