This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Calling all LVN's and Medical Assistant

Hello, Im a college student studying medical billing and coding and decided that its not for me. I figured I take some medical assistant classes and go from there as getting my associate degree since its only a two year course. I posted a topic above on this forum "Medical Assistant program". Well I live in CA and I plan on moving to either Florida or to the islands. ( Puerto Rico, US virgin Islands, Bahamas)... I havent decided yet.

I have done some research for MA in the virgin islands and they start off making $10 an hr. Now in Florida, MA salary pay is atleast $11-15 an hr. Not bad, but im not really satisfied. My mother who is a RN told me that becoming a MA w/ or w/o a degree, is a waste of time b/c I can make $10hr w/o a degree right now by doing internships. She believes most MA jobs are hand on training and is a waste of school time and money. This goes back to MA making little to no money topics....

So I took my final step in wanting to become a LVN. In Florida, they make $20-25 an hr. and in US Virgin Islands they make $13-15 an hr.

Now my question is, I decided to go to a course where you dont need to take your pre-reqs. Its a one year course ( Monday- Friday from 8-3pm) or part time course which is one year and half ( Evenings and Weekends) but its cost up to $18000-$23,000. This school has a grant that only covers $6000 but you have to pay the rest. The course starts in May 2007 . I have a choice between two schools which starts June 2007.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: Calling all LVN's and Medical Assistant

Help!

I need some guidance......

Are You Working? yes

LOL...

Well, if tuition cost is a concern here is how some certified medical assistants that got their foot into a (what's generally described as) a "teaching hospital" got their nursing training (almost) for free.

They worked hard (their butts off) in their capacity as a certified medical assistant, and built a rapport not only with the nurses, BUT also with the Human Resources, and related offices. They always checked not only the latest job offer listings (these hospitals usually first promote from within) but they ALSO got their hands on an educational/training contract, where the hospital will facilitate and finance their nurse's training, in exchange for a 3-5 year contract to work for that hospital after graduation.

Some became nurses this way, other went into x-ray tech positions, and a couple that I know went as far as nuclear technologists (these were 2 male medical assistants.)

So, medical assisting, for them, along with the right opportunity, and a burning desire, became the springboard for some great careers, all paid for by the hospital. Neat. Huh?

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin

So basically what ur saying is I can become a certified medical assistant and work my up into a nurse or whatever the case may be. I do agree with you on that, but its rare and that usually takes about 3-4 years to even be what u "really" want to be u know.

The only reason why i decided to change from CMA to a LVN b/c there are more job openings in Florida and the Islands. Now maybe if I were to stay in CA i wud stick to CMA.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate your information.

Its really helpful!

:)

Are You Working? yes

The schooling is about the same cost for both programs. The MA may be 3 months less, it was actually longer for me than the LPN program. It really depends on what you plan on doing and where you want to work when you are done. Do you want clinic 9-5 type work? Do you want to work in a hospital or nursing home? Traveling? Home health? Lab tech? What you dream of doing will help dictate which program to go for. Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Working? yes

Tracy-

Thanks for the information.

Do you think its best to attend community colleg or try something like private school to pursue lvn or Rn?

Its jus that for a private college it cost more....do you know how the financial aid works?

Are You Working? y

I got both of mine through a community college and paid around 5-$6,000 each for them. As long as the school is accredited it doesn't matter where you go. Certification or liscensure is all that employers see. You can also get transferrable credits towards a bachelors degree if you ever choose to go farther.
In terms of financial aid, you can fill out a FAFSA for online at fafsa.gov. That will give you an idea of what you can earn from pell granst and/or loans. You can also call the financial aid office an apply. Most schools also have scholarship applications in the student lounge that you can fill out. I have gotten my entire RN program paid for in full with scholarships and grants- including child care and mileage.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Working? yes