This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New job

Hello,

Although I am not a medical assistant as far as the "back" office, I wanted everyone advice for me.

I just left my job that I had been at for 8 months (I hated to leave, but I wasn't going to move up with the practice so I had to) I will be starting a new job in about a week. It is a family practice with 8 dr's the position is front desk. I have never worked the front desk of a dr's office. Do yall have any advice for me? What is it like in a family practice? I have only worked in a ophthalmogy office. Thanks

Re: New job

I'm sure it is similar to the opthamology in the semse of scheduling, pulling files, collecting copays etc.., just at a larger volume. Best of luck to you!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

I'm a little confused-what did you do at the other office if it wasn't front desk work for a doctor?

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Looking

Sorry I though I wrote what I did. I worked him his medical records dept. pulling and filing charts as well as confirming his appointments.

Very likely you will come in in the morning, print out the day's schedule, pull the charts for that day's appointments (or have them pulled by someone else), check whether all info is in the charts (sometimes there are latest lab results that have not yet been filed into the record).

You will boot up the computers and turn on printers, and typewriters.

You will de-activate the night answering service, and check for any messages. When the phone rings, you will answer it, usually calls for appointments, cancellations, or refill requests.

You will enter the appointments and cancellations into the the computer database, and direct pharmacy calls to the medical assistant in the back, or write down refill requests into a special phone message log which the doctor will check periodically throughout the day.

You will write down, and log ALL phone messages that need to be handled by the doctor and clinical staff.

You will greet all patients, and check their health insurance information, make copies, and add this to their chart.

Patients that have already been seen by the doctor will check out with you, make their next appointment, and pay their co-pay before leaving with you.

You may also have to check their remaining number of allowed visits and frequently put through "referrals" to the health insurance providers, using the patient's unique medical insurance PIN numbers.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin