This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Experience MA temp in Miami should earn what?

I am an experienced MA in the Miami area and I currently earn $15/hr filling in for vacationing MAs. I have 25 years experience but the physician I worked for has retired. So I am getting calls every day to fill in as a temp. I fit in quite easily and they don't need to train me. Can I ask for more than $15/hr?

Thanks for your help.
Paula

Re: Experience MA temp in Miami should earn what?

Who is limiting your salary? Miami can't be cheap to live in. Do you work for a temp agency?

As a temp you need to remember, they are not paying for benefits. You need to be compensated for this factor. I recently went to a job fair. A local clinic in this area actually pays a few dollars an hour more to employees who decline medical benefits.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: working on it

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: Experience MA temp in Miami should earn what?

I don't work through a temp agency, I just talked to some offices to let them know I was available to fill in for vacations, sick days, etc. I began to get calls as I was referred from one doctor to another.

It just seems that I should be able to ask for more, but I am a bit timid about doing that. That's why I wanted to hear from people on this board that may work in the Miami area about what they can earn.

Thanks for your replies.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Have a bachelor's degree and 20+ years' experience

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes