This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
7 interviews, 5 million resumes sent and counting...........

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what I can do to find a job, I just went to my 7th interview in two months and ultimately I was turned down again because they picked someone with more experience!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! I know that there is a hidden job market so I was wondering if there is a differet approach I can take to finding employment. I have exhuasted just about every angle i can think of. From, the want ads in the newspaper, all the job sites on the internet,my career counselor from school, my local employment office, local temporary agencies,and calling around to offices in my area. I really am trying hard every day of the week!!!! I just don't know what else to do, I'm trying to take charge and be proactive, but this is hard work, and my confidence is being shattered by each job I get turned down from, for lack of experience. Why can't people just give you a chance?? I have been looking since February, and I have turned up nothing but turn downs!! Even the place where I'm doing my externship site said that they are interviewing other people instead of just giving me a chance, I feel like they owe me as hard as they worked me, I even covered their call offs!!(although I haven't heard back from them yet, I'm keeping my fingers crossed)Any advice or tips would be helpful. ( relocation is not an option right now for me and my family)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? nope

Are You Working? nope.. I'm never going to find a job

Re: 7 interviews, 5 million resumes sent and counting...........

not sure if you have heard of this company but Spectrum Healthcare does the staffing for military healthcare facilities and you can search their site for MA positions. I was actually on it this morning and there are about 7 nationwide, but I don't know where you live so not sure if they have anything. You also might be able to get your resume in with one of their recruiters if nothing is available right now.

Good luck

Try walking into the interview with the attitude that they could not give the job to anyone better. I know this sounds strange but your vibe projects what you are feeling and if your not confident or your feeling like it just going to lead to another let-down, they can see that! Get it in your head that you ARE the best!

Granted, I'm not an MA yet, but I've had experience with job interviews and they have to think you are confident in what you do and that you will be the best. Even your resume has to look confident. I got hired with a national company doing medical transcriptioning even though the ad said to only apply if you had 2 years of experience and I only had 3 months plus 6 months of schooling, because my resume looked good and I spoke with confidence during the interview.

It also works with the general puplic. If I go out and look frumpy and feel frumpy most people don't even notice me, but if I go out looking frumpy but feel confident about my looks I get flirted with and talked to by all kinds of people. I know that sounds wierd but it's the truth - you are what you project!

Good luck!!!

Are You Working? Work as an MT at home

One big discussion a while ago revolved around whether you should wear scrubs or professional attire typical for an interview to the interview.

People felt scrubs had a place there because it would show interest, and "go-getter's" attitude, as if you were ready to walk off the interview right to your desk. Wearing scrubs would show them the image you'd present on the job.

However, the idea was strongly rejected and advised against by almost everybody who responded.

So, do not underestimate the importance of your physical appearance at the interview. While your clothes should be comfortable enough for you to get through the day without excessive squirming and adjusting, appearing too casual will reflect badly on your professionalism.

Women were advised to wear business suits rather than dresses. The suit may have either a skirt or pants, but it should definitely have a jacket.

Avoid frills, spaghetti straps, short skirts, and low-cut necklines. Keep jewelry and make-up simple and conservative, and avoid heavy perfume. While plain earrings like hoops or studs are generally fine, remove any other piercings and cover tattoos.

Avoid coffee and cigarettes right before the interview. Coffee can make you nervous, cigarettes will give you bad breath.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Site Admin