This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Just starting out

This is a very nice place on the net to have stumbled onto! Nice to meet you all

I'm beginning school on June 4th here in TN, at National College of Business and Technology, and am very excited and nervous at the same time.

Anyone have any tips for me as far as studying, or anything. I'm a mother of 3 boys, youngest is in preschool, so I know I will need "mommy study time". The school that I am going to has really small classes (10-12 students per class), wonderful free tutoring if I need it, so thats a plus- they also have a career center that is available for the rest of my professional career to help with resumes, interviews, and things like that. They got an award last year for 100% graduate job placement, so that takes a lot of the worry out of it also.

Anything that I really need to know before I start school? Something that maybe caught you off guard, or surprised you in anyway?

Amy

Re: Just starting out

Best of luck to you!!
All I can say is get a schedule worked out. You definately need to arrange study time away from the kids. Spend an extra hour at school, or after they go to bed. Once you get a system down you'll be okay. It seems overwhelming at times, but is doable. Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Thank you

The school I'll be attending is 3 days per week for 4 hours each day, so I will have those other days here without the kids home so I think that will be great. (of course that won't be until after summer break is over- but I can make due until then- they will be outside most of the day)

I've also decided instead of opting to test out of my best subjects, like keyboarding and algebra, I will go ahead and take those, it will give me more time to study on the things I need to since I won't have to work much on those kinds of things.

One thing I would like your opinions about- I have 4 electives, and am thinking about Spanish I and II as 2 of those, do you all find it's good to have Spanish where you work?

Amy

Amy-
I will be starting a Medical Assistant program on May 29. My program is 8 months. Mon-fri from 8a-12p. I too am excited and nervous at the same time. Maybe we could be a support buddy for each other? My email address is SETingler@comcast.net.

Sharon

Emplyers will see you as a definate asset having Spanish under your belt :)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Thank you very much Tracy, I definitely will take those two then.

I took my placement test today and am officially enrolled in college. I'm very excited, I go to register for classes the end of this month I'm the first in my family to go beyond high school so that makes it even more exciting.

Wow, Amy. That's just awesome! In this case... you go girl!!! Find your place, and fulfill your dreams. The healthcare field is very rewarding. There are many options.

Danni

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin

As a MA and a mother of 4, I can certainly understand where you're coming from, Amy. I wish you well on you new endeavor! I found it is challengingand sometimes overwhelming to start school after starting a family but it was definitely worth it. In fact, I believe it made me take my studies more seriously. I found it helpful to wait until the kiddos go to bed to study and I always made notecards ( to take with me when I was waiting in line at the grocery store, doctors offices, etc.)to study with. Especially when you take terminology! Hope this helps!! Good luck!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? Yes