This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CMA vs. LPN

How funny!! I have been deciding between CMA, LPN, RN for the past 2 years and been driving everyone around me nuts! Finally I couldn't take it anymore and typed in CMA vs. LPN in Google and found this forum...GREAT! Now maybe you's can help me. I am 32 years old, stay at home mom of 2 kids. I want to go back to school for RN but everyone tells me how hard and demanding it is. However the pay is great for 2 years of school (my community college offers the 2 year assocaites program) pluse the schedule is great (i could work 2 12 hour shifts and be done ) if i was a nurse. Or should I do the CMA because it is a tad bit easier and not so much pressure. OR should I do LPN because it is only 1 year and i also have the choice to go back for the 2nd year and become an RN. If i go for CMA and decide to go for RN then i have to go to school all over again (doesn't make sense), with LPN i have the option to go 1 year more when it is convenient and get my RN license. I live in Chicago and CMA's don't get paid well (9-12.00 per hour).
Thanks.

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? pt chiropractic assistant for past 6 years

Re: CMA vs. LPN

You're information is correct. As an MA, most of your credits will not transfer. Don't be fooled though- I am in a 2 year RN program, and it is taking 5 years. There is no way you could finish it all in 2 years. Typically there is a waiting list, so you spend 2 years doing the pre-req's like A&P I&II, microbiology, chemistry, psych, sociology,speech, English etc.., then you have 2 years of theory classes and clinicals. I am a mother of 2 and it is doable. Extremely time consuming but doable.
If you plan to ever go for your RN, the LPN route would be an easier transition, but it all depends on where you want to work and what you want to do in terms of what program to sign up for. Best of luck to you!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

Re: CMA vs. LPN

To be honest,this is a no-brainer: Go for LPN. Higher wages than an MA,better chance of finding something quickly,can work almost anywhere,100 times more respect and recognition. But there is a waiting list for that also. But plan for that. Don't make the mistake of thinking in terms of picking something that seems "less".

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA

Are You Working? On and off

cma vs lpn

It must be different in some areas, because I am an RN of 3yrs now, and I Only went for 2yrs, from start to finish FUll TIME, I too am a mother of 2, as Tracy stated you do have to go thru the classes she mentioned, but HERE you can take the basics like English etc. while your in your core classes, they don't tell you that, but thats what i did, I got all my pre reqs out of the way 1st, I didn't have to wait either to get in to school, I got right in. To answer your question, CMA or Nursing, go for the Nursing, you'll NEVER make ANY MONEY as a CMA,or CNA. And i'm sure you're just like the rest of the world "it's for the money" I too waited til I was in my Mid 30's and it is TUFF to say the least, but worth every bit of it, it's so nice to know I don't have to stay on a job anymore because I lack skills and may not be able to find work, there's work ALWAYS in the nursing field.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: rn

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes