This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
still confused!!!!

I really appreciate the responses i got from my prior post about cma vs. lpn. I still am not sure what to do. the CMA seems a lot easier for me because I have 2 small children and I am also not very good in Math and Sciences, but then I think about being an LPN and the money and hours and experience i can have and i am torn. What i do want to say is that I don't think they are phasing out LPN's because the community college by my house is now in the process of starting an LPN program. (they already have an RN program). So if they were phasing it out, i don't think this school would be building a whole program on it.
Also, does anyone know if LPN's are employed in the mental health field? I would love to be a mental health nurse..working with substance abuse, eating disorders, depression etc. (i don't have any of these, just has always been an interest).
thanks

Re: still confused!!!!

YES, LPN's can work in the Mental Health Field, LPN's are not going ANYWHERE. And they have been telling these over worked and under paid CMAs where I work for 10 YEARS that pay is going to get better, but it never has, because thats why they hire alot of CMA's THEY GET THEM CHEEP!!!! Don't let the math and science issue stress you, trust me your older and you'll be amazed at WHAT a difference age makes, vs what you didn't get in high school. As for the 2 small children comment, you have to have a UNDERSTANDING family that supports you and willing to help take up the slack, Because it does Take up ALOT of your spare time.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: rn

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? yes

As stated above, don't let the math and science scare you. It really is basic algebra, and once you learn how to set up the problems, it's not bad.
LPN's aren't going anywhere. There is such a high demand, there is no way places could function without them. There aren't enough nurses as it is!
In terms of programs, you need to do classes and clinicals for both programs, so why is it any different in terms of your kids? You need to focus, study, and set time aside for either program, so go with your gut and "just do it!" :)

Your Professional Title/Credentials: LPN

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? yes

I wish I stuck with nursing...it would have cost much less and I would be earning more. To go back now, while working full-time and having children, is not an option and I could really kick myself!

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CCMA

Are You Still In School? no

Are You Working? YES

It's really up to each person to look around their area, and choose a career path that meets their own standards, and fulfills their needs.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Website Owner/Forum Admin