This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front office work and training

OK, this is a little long-winded sorry.

Since I have discovered that any CMA program where I live is waaay too expensive (even the one that has free onsite childcare) I pretty much gave up on that idea for now, plus any other education options are too pricey as well because of the hours/childcare/commute.

I was just looking around and found our local state university offers an admin medical asst (basically the front office stuff) with billing/coding program through the continuing ed department. I have already done a coding cert but it has been a while and this program fills in the gaps that were in my old certificate (which taught basic CPT and ICD9 coding but not insurance billing/claims). It also covers the administrative stuff like medisoft training, general medical office duties, insurance billing/claims, and HIPAA compliance. It would also be a coding refresher for me since I never did code but worked in transcription instead. Its not free of course but its much much cheaper than the CMA programs and it is available entirely online since its all admin/computer work and I would avoid any commuting (30 miles each way) and childcare cost issues. It can start at any time and is 4-6 mos long.

I know I would probably be competing with CMAs for front office positions but am wondering what positions this kind of training would allow me to reasonably apply for. I am thinking outpatient front desk, hospital admitting/registration, maybe HUC, records clerk, basic biller/coder, type stuff.

I'd rather make $8-10/hr in an office than at Walmart, even if I had to invest $1500 in a course first. Just wondering if anyone knows if that's the kind of training OMs are looking for for front office employees. I'd feel more comfortable doing the training first than just trying to get jobs like that on the limited experience and education (even though I have a BS) I have.

Re: Front office work and training

It's funny that they would call that an "admin medical asst" course. I'm sure a lot of Medical Billing and Insurance coders would be offended. :)
To be honest, you really wouldn't be competing with CMA for the front office. Anymore, there aren't offices so small that the medical assistant is doing everything. Usually, you will have a back office and a front office person. Most CMA are so "clinically" trained that they are cross trained, but don't soley do front office work, not usually.
Anyway, back to your question. There are a lot of positions that could use those skills. All of the ones you mentioned. Plus, try specialty clinics (I was with a fertility clinic for a long time.) MB are used as financial counsellors and billing/insurance collectors. Not to mention the "at home billers" that are on the rise. Hope that helps.
If you are still interested in medical assisting, take a look at all of your options. Most of the private schools will work with you. Plus, the community colleges offer scholarships and financial aid. Many have coop daycares too to help off set that cost. I don't know what your financial situation is, but if it applies, you can also try the state. They will pay for MA training because it is quick and in demand. They will also assist with, if not pay for day care.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: MA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Yes

Re: Front office work and training

Thanks for your feedback.

The money (tuition for the program runs $9000-$10,500 depending on the school - there are 3 or 4 private ones here - I'm not even counting in the $25,000 AAS program yikes) is such a sticky thing since I have used up all my pell eligibility already and have an undergrad degree, so as far as federal/state stuff goes, the best I could do is maybe a loan. And, having been a broke independent college student in the past, I know our family income is too high, even with 4 kids and me not working.

With our situation (moving overseas in 4 years where I could find admin but not patient care jobs), the return on investment on the private school probably would not work out. I can always go in and see about financial assistance I may have overlooked.

Where we used to live, the state had lottery grants for vocational education at its tech colleges and it did not matter if you had a degree or not. It was a great program. They considered it workforce investment to have a skilled workforce to draw skilled industry to the state. That's how I got the coding certificate through distance ed and found my job doing transcription. Had my kids been older, the MA program would have been very inexpensive, but childcare would have run me $600-800/mo for 15 mos (and more over the summer).

Thanks again.