This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Painful injection

I have a strange topic, and i hope someone can help me. I go to school for M.A, and we give practice injections as part of our check off for every Mod that we do. One student who is only one month ahead of me had given me an injection (saline) and that was a week ago. It was so painful! I thought it was because she didn't let the alcohol dry. But later when I saw the location of the injection, it seems as if it was rather high, like where my shoulder is. Is it possible she could of hit the bone? It is killing me! It feels sore, and is still somewhat swollen.
It was a sterile, new, needle and so I am not concerned about that.
BUt has anyone else ever had this?

thanks....

SC7

Your Professional Title/Credentials: Medical Assistant student

Are You Still In School? yes

Are You Working? no

Re: Painful injection

I don't know why anybody else hasn't answered you on this. All I can say is that I hope you reported it,to the school AND a doctor. I am no expert on injections so I can't say anything about hitting a bone but as a trained phlebotomist I wondered if a nerve was struck. I had a bad blood draw from another student who tied the tourniquet extremely tight. The draw felt like a burning at first,and then was aching for an hour afterwards,it was VERY sore and it felt like muscle pain. I know now she hit a certain nerve. An injection site shouldn't be hurting a week later unless there was some kind of allergic reaction to the substance. But,my class never practiced injections on each other because they couldn't get a doctor to come in,so I don't know what having a saline solution injection is like.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: RMA and RPT

Re: Painful injection

I agree you should get it checked. Long long time ago, when I was in LPN school, we were learning subQ injections and my partner slammed the needle into me a little too hard. She placed it correctly, just a bit too firmly. I ended up with a knot and some soreness but it went away within a day or so. A week does seem like a long time.