Keep the North Shore Country Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Keep the North Shore Country Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: where is the money going to come?

Gil,
thanks for taking the time to read my post. you make some very good points that i had not thought about. (again i am new to this forum and still reading all the past posts to get better educated) the potential costs in highway improvements...very valid point. and the social impacts have the potential to be devastating. And yes, i think the 1986 development plan needs to be re-addressed. if for no other reason than that legally it is too broad and vague with regard to expiration. would a similair development plan and impact study done today be different than what was done in 1986...absolutely it would be different. Gil, i commend you for taking the initiative with this matter and trying to make changes. i guess the thing i am still having questions/concerns about is whether the state buying the land is the best answer? don't get me wrong, i understand the reasoning behind it, i just don't know if once the state owns the land if they will do the right things with it. i envision a large abandoned area bordered with "no Trespassing signs" for years while the state tries to decide on "a plan". i don't mean to sound negative, but i am a lawyer by profession so i tend to play devil's advocate often.
again, your thoughts are both welcome and respected. thanks for giving us this forum for educated discussion.
mahalo!

Re: where is the money going to come?

Kuilima is a beauftiful place thats no doubt. I drove out last week to check it out and was just shocked. the place looks like a third world country. The hosipital is in need of repair and upkeep. The State will not benefit from a buyout. The State should be focused on our children. Saving Kuilima will not generate $$$$ that the People of Hawaii needs. This I promise you will open up to a whole lot of save this and save that land deals. People have a hard enough time just getting by here on the Islands. The tax will be raised I gtd that and for what just to benefit the few? How about a developer comes in and does the right thing in the first place. Affordable housing, Union Jobs, Children/Senior Center, Open access to the beaches, Scale down the project to no more than 2000 units and on the job training for all get the devloper to help its people in kahuku.I bet that there is someone willing to do this. It would be a win win situation. Stop focusing on the negative ans stabing each others back. Unite and work together with the developers and meet in a happy medium. We are in a recession so you are all kidding if you think that the feds/State or even private $$$$ its going to come out of our already heavy taxes!! So you saved North Shore. Tell me how that will help feed, house and educate our chldren.
Thanks but no thanks. perception is a dangerous thing. We are a State and not a REIT.