Keep the North Shore Country Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Keep the North Shore Country Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I Am In FAVOR Of Developing The North Shore!!!!

Yes, that's right! I think the North Shore should be paved right over and open to development -- hotels, condos, etc.!

It is absolutely arrogant of residents to stop development and try to keep everything for themselves. Development happens. Too bad.

And, it is not like ANYONE on the North Shore has gone out of their way to make friends with visitors, is it?

Residents of the North Shore routinely treat visitors like garbage -- worse, even attack them -- and NOW, they are asking us for help?!? What hypocrites!

Well, North Shore residents can rot in hell for all I care. They have done NOTHING to win any favor from me.

Besides, the State could use the revenue such a massive development would generate.

And that's the bottom line.

Re: I Am In FAVOR Of Developing The North Shore!!!!

I am not in favor of the development, but not for the sake of all the residents of the north shore, but to keep this place from being paved over, for everyone. I live in town, and have been coming up there since I was a toddler. Never had any problems w/any resident up there (only with another townie, and it was my fault in that encounter).

Some see it as a refuge from town's lack of open spaces, and enjoy the recreation. Others see it as a place somewhat naturally intact for the sake of cultural purposes like us (native lowland/shoreline plants still remain, which we use and are attempting to propagate, unlike most other areas on oahu). Not to mention many heiau in the mountains (not all widely publicly known). Read 'The Beaches of O'ahu' to see just a bit of the cultural significance, especially for fishing (and remember, many still use these areas, it's not all history). Not just Kawela, but all coastal areas in the vicinity. Maybe you'll understand why keeping the ecosystems intact are so important to many from all over.

This expansion will create a larger tourist epicenter than what is already there, and the domino effect of more businesses opening, transportation, and hikers to this area. What will the environmental impact be of not just the additional buildings and landscaping, but also of the ACTIVITIES of the approx. 10,000 more people (that will be occupying them at any given time)?

You talk about the bottom line? That's your bottom line. Many native-Hawaiians have another, and that's the aina, and I'm speaking on behalf of myself and those who wish not to MAKE A BUCK OFF OF IT. This expansion will do nothing but bring more people en masse into already fragile ecosystems. We already have Waikiki and it's heavily disturbed reefs for that, I'm for keeping Kawela and it's surrounding areas as natural as possible.

Have you ever surfed Kawela Bay? Your paddle out, your alone, if not you generally know everyone out there. You lookin around, pristine, heavily forrested shore, no trace of people aside from a few houses tucked back behind and amoungst the vegitation. Its pretty peaceful its like your in a whole nother place, its an escape from the 30-40 man lineups at Pipe and many other high visibility places. Its definatly quite an experience

However if you turn to your left you'll see Turtle Bay Resort perched on the coastline. A scar left from a cut made deep into the place that you love. Its really hard to imagine what it would be like with more.

The roads cant take the traffic. There isent even room to build more roads. If any place was worth fighting to save, it would be the North Shore. If not for us, then for the visitors themselves, and especially for the next generations.

I am writing these words on Wednesday august 15, 2007. I tried to visit kawela bay by taking Marconi road off of kamehameha hwy. There is no way to access the beach because there are a bunch of signs that say private property no trespassing! So basically the only people allowed access to the beach are the ones who own the oceanfront homes there. These homes are definately not nestled inconspicuosly behind the forest. They are right up against the shore line they have made their backyard the kawela bay and are being very greedy and selfish. I have just been to kawela bay yesterday and the pictures on this website are misleading. Basically what this site shows is half the bay that is not yet developed. The other half has the big nice homes along the coastline. Like the rest of Oahu where ever there is an exceptionally beautiful beach. The thing about kawela bay thats different is that there is no access to for the public. There is no road that is clearly labeled public access. This is a beach only available to the few that live there. Other neighborhoods at least have open access to the beach area. Kawela bay does not! Not even a three foot wide dirt path, nothing. Nothing but an impenetrable wall of private property. So I say build the hotel because as of now august 15 2007 this beach is closed to the general public

You were at the wrong beach.....

Although not a lot of people use it, there is access to Kawela Bay. I fished there last week

YOURE ON THE WRONG SITE FOR THOSE IDEAS!!!
YOUR DEFINITELY IN THE WRONG PLACE TOO!!

your ideology sucks. you dont know locals so your opinion doesnt matter. youre not from here and you dont live here so take your bag of **** back to the mainland where it belongs.