Keep the North Shore Country Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Keep the North Shore Country Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why protest surf contests??

I'm all for saving the North Shore, I really think what Turtle Bay is doing is dirty. It's obvious that the resort is taking more money in than putting out to the community, ESPECIALLY since the same job in town gets you an hourly wage of 5-7 dollars more. Isn't their worth like 18 BILLION dollars now??
Anyway, onto what sparked this post. What's this I hear about protests to surf contests?? was it just a certain number of contests that fit into a criteria or every contest on Oahu? What was the justification for these protests? If someone could reply to this post it would be appreciated. oh and if you want to e-mail me that one is fake cause I want to remain annonymous thank you

Re: Why protest surf contests??

I am also the President of Let's Surf Coalition, formed in 2002 as an advocate for recreational surfing.

The City rules governing surf contests on the North Shore were creating in 1991. By 2001, they were no longer following these rules and the regular guy who wants to go surfing was being squeezed out. For example, no back-to-back events are allowed at any beach, but in the winter of 2001-2002, three events were scheduled in a row at Pipeline over a 40-day period. This is so obviously unfair to the public that something had to be done.

Since the formation of Let's Surf Coalition, the City has returned to following the rules and the North Shore is better for it. Contests are still conducted and the public has reasonable acccess to the best surf spots.

Please go to www.letssurfcoalition.org for more.

Thank you for asking.

Gil Riviere