Keep the North Shore Country Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Keep the North Shore Country Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Big Bounce's Opening Scene at Turtle Bay

The Big Bounce, filmed on the North Shore in 2004, opens with Hawaiians protesting a hotel development at Turtle Bay because of concern for `iwi kupuna.

The protest has stopped work and the crew are playing baseball when the foreman turns up and orders everyone back to work. Owen Wilson's character wants a turn at bat and tries to get his friend, Frank, to continue playing.

"What? Just like that, no game? You're gonna go back to desecrating these peoples' lands? Blowing up palm trees?

"Frank, we can go blow up palm trees later. I just want one pitch! Come on, I think it's messing with our Kharma!"

Oaktree-Kuilima Resort Company were quietly planning to expand the resort in 2004 when they allowed this scene to be shot on their property. How ironic, then, that 'iwi kupuna would turn out to be a real serious issue for them!

Re: The Big Bounce's Opening Scene at Turtle Bay

Gil, for once I totally 100% agree with you!!!

The ficticous protest at a make beleive movie was very similar to the ficticous reasons for the recent protest at Turtle Bay.

I can see how gratifying it must be to live in a fantasy land where you get excited over a Hollywood production resembling events in the real world.

So, I agree, the fake movie was just like what Keep The North Shore Country is doing. Create illusions and make up stories that look real to sell people a bunch of stuff that you want them to believe.