Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Picture I Took

I kinda like the black and white conversion of this picture I took in Welch one night and figured some of you all might like it too.

McDowell County Bank at 3:00 AM

Re: A Picture I Took

If you don't look so hard, it will remind you of the "days gone by" like when we were kids.....! It is a lovely picture and makes me very home sick! Even today, as I ride into McDowell County those tall green mountains I love so well just seem to fold their branches around me as if to say, "Welcome home child, sit a spell in the fold of God's magnificent beauty." I always close my eyes and see the old town as it used to be – busy on Saturday mornings and smell the popcorn and roasted nuts coming from G.C Murphy's and those three double doors were always swinging in and out. And never forget the decorated storefronts at Christmas time and the lights that zig zaged through town except for the big bells on each end of McDowell Street. I am proud of to say I am from Welch, WV no matter who I see or where I am.

Close your eyes and remember the store fronts during football season. Signs on almost every business up and down McDowell St. with slogans of "GO MAROON WAVES" and "WELCH HIGH MAROON WAVES". Our town was bursting with pride and we were so proud to wear our maroon and white representing our Maroon Waves and Welch High. Those were the good ole days!!!!!!!!!!

I remember all that stuff. Man, just to be able to go back and spend a few hours there again and know what you know now. I certainly wouldn't take my time spent there for granted.

Welch Flat Iron From The Bypass

Welch Bypass
On The By Pass at 3:00 AM...

The By-Pass is where one of the best Rhythm Guitarist I've ever had the pleasure to meet lost his life.. James Dave Burks, may God grant you Mercy and Peaceful Repose..

The Old "Appalachian Electric Power Co. Building:? Remember the lettering "Light-Heat-Power" on the upper front of the building. The second story where we had Piano Recitals, and meetings by various groups and clubs. Next to the old Post-Office. AH! the Citizen's Drugs on the adjacent corner with its booths where we enjoyed "Nutty-Buddy" Ice Cream, etc., after school, and at other times. Also, remember the Purity Baking Company, the Bakers of Maid bread, pies and cakes. Back in the 1940's was the only 8-way enriched bread mfgr in WV. When we had spaghetti for dinner, I would rush down to the Bakery, into the back door and purchase a loaf of their oven fresh bread just out of the oven. Also the Welch Milk Co., where Jim Rush - a 1950 Class Mate of Welch Maroon Waves - worked. We use to go there after a Welch Miners Baseball game at Blakley Field, and he would get a box of "Choc-Cows" on a stick from the Milk Co. freezer and we would go sit on his porch on Stewart Street and gourge ourselves. Remember the Bowling Alley under-ground below the Warren Furniture Store? Yep - great memories. Thanks for the photo - a good shot. Tim

I remember Purity Baking and The Milk Plant. My brother worked at the milk plant. When they went to waxed cardboard cartons we used to cut out the "f" (for foremost) and redeem them for gifts at the plant.

From Welch, West Virginia

How I would love to go back and not take it for granted. Especially the GC Murphy's where my Mom, when she wasn't working in the office, used to serve those hot dogs, popcorn and nuts. She loved it. We lost her in February of this year but, I wlll always remember her working there. She has lived many years here in Tn. with us but, she always talked with her friends from Murphy's every week almost. Beautiful picture. Maybe there is a town just like this in Heaven and Mom is serving up those nuts, hotdogs and popcorn up there.

Those are some of the most beautiful pics I have ever seen of Welch. I would love to have prints

Thank you very much, Diane. I am going to try and send you a link to where I have some of those pictures stored and you can download the ones you like. The pictures on this link are full size and you can print them as big as 20 x 30.
My Picasa Album

There are more here, but they are not as big. They will still make decent prints, though.
My MSN Site

Alan,
I love your songs! I will be ordering a CD of your last project. Guess who is sitting beside me enjoying all your singin', Ruth and Jack Meadows. Ruth loves your mother and is wondering how she is doing. They live with me now. Ruth is 83 and Jack is 88. I live in Winfield, WV. You are so very talented. Nashville's loss. I assume the girls are your daughters! Wow what singers. I will play the gospel CD at school where I teach for my kids, I teach at Scott High School in Boone Co. home of Jesico White! We can play gospel music in school there! Great place. Closest to McDowell Co. that I have found. I love it! They would love your music over there for the Coal Festival. Let me know if your are interested, I am friends with the one that organizes this. They had Ronnie McDowell last year. This is the place where the Hatfield McCoy trail is real busy with people from all over the US. Take care Alan.

Veronica, Ruth and Jack Meadows---did they live on Lake Drive and have a son named Timmy?

Veronica Munaretta Cummings
Alan,
I love your songs! I will be ordering a CD of your last project. Guess who is sitting beside me enjoying all your singin', Ruth and Jack Meadows. Ruth loves your mother and is wondering how she is doing. They live with me now. Ruth is 83 and Jack is 88. I live in Winfield, WV. You are so very talented. Nashville's loss. I assume the girls are your daughters! Wow what singers. I will play the gospel CD at school where I teach for my kids, I teach at Scott High School in Boone Co. home of Jesico White! We can play gospel music in school there! Great place. Closest to McDowell Co. that I have found. I love it! They would love your music over there for the Coal Festival. Let me know if your are interested, I am friends with the one that organizes this. They had Ronnie McDowell last year. This is the place where the Hatfield McCoy trail is real busy with people from all over the US. Take care Alan.
Oh my!! I would pay money to see them. Tell Jack I love him and I think about all the good times at S&M Market all the time. I get so lonesome for those days I could cry. Jack was so very good to me and a great boss. Thanks for writing me. Funny you should mention a coal festival. My daughters and I just did a concert of all coal songs for the Coal Heritage people in Beckley. Good to hear from you. By the way, Sherry......you have the right people. They are the same Meadows who lived on Lake Drive. Tim was a DJ on WXEE.