Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brown named new superintendent of McDowell schools

Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV
June 10, 2010
Brown named new superintendent of McDowell schools
By CHARLES OWENS
Bluefield Daily Telegraph

— WELCH — Jim Brown, an assistant director for the state Department of Education, was named Wednesday as the new superintendent of McDowell County Schools.

Brown, who currently helps lead the Office of Special Programs, Extended and Early Learning, will begin work as the new school superintendent of McDowell County on July 1, state Superintendent of Schools Steve Paine said. Brown replaces Suzette Cook, who was named last week as the new Title I School Improvement Coordinator for the state Department of Education.

“I am excited about this opportunity in McDowell County,” Brown said in a press release issued by the state board Wednesday. “A lot of good things are going on in the district. They have great facilities and improvements have been made in student learning. I look forward to helping them move forward.”

The state board, which assumed control of McDowell County Schools in 2001, retains partial control of the school system.

“My focus has always been on students and helping them succeed,” Brown said. “I hope to do the same in McDowell County.”

Brown, who holds degrees from West Liberty State College and Marshall University, brings experience as a teacher, principal and central office administrator in Tyler County, Paine said. Brown has held positions overseeing special education, attendance, homeless students, technology and other educational areas. During his time as principal of Arthur I. Boreman Elementary School in Tyler County, Paine said the school was recognized as a West Virginia School of Excellence and a Blue Ribbon School.

Under the state’s guidance, Paine said McDowell County has made significant changes in curriculum, finances and personnel, including offering intensive professional development to further enhance student performance. The county also has closed several old schools, and constructed several new schools, under the state’s control.

Big Creek and Iaeger high schools closed on Tuesday. The new River View High School in Bradshaw will open this fall.

Brown is the third state-appointed school superintendent to serve McDowell County. Cook replaced Dr. Mark Manchin in 2007, who accepted a position at the time as the executive director of the state School Building Authority.

— Contact Charles Owens at cowens@bdtonline.com