Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Group at G. C. Murphy's

Who remembers when a group came to Welch, maybe early 60's, and had a drummer who played for days in the G.C. Murphy's store window? Maybe some sort of "cult"? I think it was a national type thing. Believe the drummer's name was Robbie.

Re: Group at G. C. Murphy's

I REMEMBER IT WELL..HE WAS ATTEMPTING TO BREAK A RECORD FOR PLAYING THE DRUM THE LONGEST...THE NEWSPAPER COVERED THE STORY AND PROVIDED UPDATES EACH DAY..ONE OF WHICH WAS,WHILE SHOWERING AT THE CARTER HOTEL,HE WOULD HAVE ONE HAND OUTSIDE OF THE SHOWER CURTAIN CONTINUING TO PLAY THE DRUM..AS BEST I REMEMBER HE DID BREAK THE RECORD...I AND OTHERS WOULD WATCH HIM AFTER SCHOOL PLAYING FROM INSIDE OF THE MURPHY'S FRONT WINDOW..I HOPE THIS HELPS..

I, too remember that event. It was in the latter part of the 60's, though, maybe 67 or 68. I was in High School at the time. It was quite an event for Welch to have someone setting a world record in our little part of the world.

I remember it as well.

I believe the group was called Moral Re-Armament. They had headquarters on Mackinaw Island, Michigan at the time. They visited the local high schools and presented assemblies. I still remember the lesson that my history teacher, Mike Callaway, taught after one of their assemblies. He pointed out the effective way that the group whipped our student body into a mass hysteria. It was a life lesson that has served me well. When an event gets loud, emotional and the crowd gets excited or out of control, I think back to that day. It was a form of mind control. Thank you Mr. Callaway.

Thank you very much for the kind words. It really makes me or any teacher happy to hear that something we have taught proved to be beneficial.

I'm still in education, not as a teacher (I have been retired for some years)but as a member of the Board of Education.

Thank you again,
Mike Callaway