Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
the Death of my Father

Doug Blackburn, class of 47, died this morning at the Phillips Care Home in LaRona, WV outside of Athens.Fanning Funeral Home in Welch is in charge of the funeral and plans are not complete at this time. Dad is survived by his wife Joan, class of 50.

Re: the Death of my Father

Our sincere condolences to the Blackburn and Arkell families.

May our Father in heaven bless you with HIS peace and mercy in the days ahead. I love each of you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

WILLIAM DOUGLAS BLACKBURN

The family of Doug Blackburn, formerly of Kimball and Welch, WV celebrates the life of a wonderful husband, father and friend. Doug was a child of the Depression. His father, George Blackburn was a decorated Navy veteran of World War I and in addition to hand-loading coal for the Carswell Mine; he was an organizer for the United Mine Workers. Doug’s mother, Gladys Bowles Blackburn, rode the bus from Kimball to Welch each morning at 7am and returned on the bus at 11 pm for years to support the family after George was blackballed by the mines and Doug and his parents were evicted from their company house during Christmas week of 1936.
Doug graduated from Welch High school in 1947. While working as a butcher for AP Woods in Kimball, he met a coal miner’s daughter from Superior. Doug and Jean Belcher were married on February, 19, 1949 in Houston Methodist Church in Kimball. Doug maintained his membership and devotion there despite several moves over the next 60 years. The next year Doug Jr. was born. In 1953, Bob was born. In 1955, Carol Ann was born. By this time, Doug had risen to Mine Foreman for the Pocahontas Fuel Corporation at Peerless, WV. By 1958, he was the Engineer in Charge of the construction of the rail bridge that crossed WV Route 52 at Bottom Creek. This allowed the development of the new Bottom Creek Mine. The mine cars crossed the highway and Elkhorn Creek to reach the preparation plant. The same plant filled our house with coal dust and kept Jean fuming.
By 1960, Doug had joined CH Bennett Engineering where he designed mines throughout Mc Dowell County. In 1964 Doug and Jean were surprised with the birth of Barbara. In 1967, Doug joined US Steel Corporation in the Industrial Engineering group. He later joined the production staff at the Number 9 Mine.
1967 was a turning point for Doug. In the fall, Jean was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. For the next 18 months, Doug worked in the Number 9 Mine, drove home to change clothes and spent the night at the Bluefield hospital when Jean was there. Jean, the love of 20 years, died in April 1968.
Doug was fortunate to have known Mom’s friend, Joan Arkell. Doug and Joan were married and Doug loved two more sons, Andrew and Bill. One year later, Doug and Joan were surprised with the birth of their daughter, Mary Clark. Doug and Joan shared 41 years of love and joy.
Doug went on to work for Allied Chemical Corporation at the Shannon Branch Mine as the Resident Engineer and was promoted to Superintendent. AT Massey’s Wyomac Division named him Vice-President Operations. He retired in 1984.
Doug sent sons and grandson to WVU and became a Mountaineer Fan. Doug and Joan held season football tickets for years. Doug and Joan also enjoyed travel and owned places in Florida for wintering.

Doug served his community. As a member of the Welch City Council he participated in some of the most important decisions of the modern Council. As a member of the Water and Sewage Board, he helped bring the sewage treatment plant to Welch. It was a major and important project for Welch and one for which he was justifiably proud.
Doug was a 60 year member of the Masons. As a Shriner, he sponsored children for Orthopedic Surgery at the Shrine Hospital in Lexington, KY. With his best friend, Connie Mabry, he ferried Mc Dowell County children to the Hospital for many years.
1990 was a most challenging year for Doug. His daughter, Barbara, died in February. Barbara was an incredible young woman. She brought great love to Doug and her death was a blow. Doug handled that death and his grief with the Grace that informed his life.
In 1991, Doug was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer and battled this disease to a draw with the same Grace that we came to see with the death of Jean and Barbara.
The only thing that Doug has not defeated is the ravages of Alzheimer’s Disease. Although this disease has taken a lifetime of memories from Doug, it has not robbed all of us from wonderful memories of him. We celebrate a life well lived. We celebrate a kind and generous spirit. We celebrate a husband, father and friend gifted with Grace.
SUNRISE: 26 JUNE 1929
SUNSET: 15 AUGUST 2010

ARRANGEMENTS: FANNING FUNERAL HOME
VISITATION AND FUNERAL SERVICE: WOODLAWN CEMETERY
BLUEFIELD, WV: 12N