Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Death of Tim Gilley

Robert Timothy Gilley, WHS class of 1950, recently passed away at his home in Altamonte Springs, Florida.

Tim had a wonderful collection of old comic strips which he would occasionally share via emails. Not long ago I needed some clips of Spike, Snoopy's cousin. Yep, I knew who to ask; and, they were in my email within minutes.

Also, several websites feature copies of pictures and newspaper articles about Welch and WHS sports activities which Tim had saved from the 1940-1950s era. Some of these pictures are on our WHS Alumni Website HERE.

I'm sorry that I never actually met Tim in person. I will miss our email chats.

Re: Death of Tim Gilley

I had never met Tim in person. However, we had a mutual friend, the late Dr. Emerson Shannon, WHS '41 (Emerson had a medical practice in Oceana for 38 years before retiring and moving to FL, where he died as a result of a tragic accident about 5 or so years ago.) Tim was in some way related to Emerson. I understood that Tim was an amateur boxer of some note after his high school days. Also, I think his mother, Mrs. Gilley was a teacher at WHS back in the forties and fifties. If any of you knew Tim, please let us know more about him. I presume that he was probably involved with sports in high school.

Re: Death of Tim Gilley

Thanks for the kind words about my father-in-law. He will be sorely missed by his family, but we are comforted knowing he is with his beloved wife of 52 years, Doris. He preceded her in death by a week. We all knew neither could or wanted to live without the other.
Tim was involved in Football I think in High School and then later at Davidson College.
I've been looking for lasting ways people who knew and loved Tim could remember him (instead of sending flowers) and I hope there's a simple way of contributing to Welch High School.
As one of the other messages noted, Tim's Mom, S. Frances (Bragg) Gilley was a Civics teacher in the 40's and maybe the 50's as well. She earned a college degree from what is now known as Radford College in Va. Tim's father was an engineer in the West Virgina Coal Mines and later with the railroad.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and raise a toast to Tim and Doris Gilley. Our families live forever in our hearts.