Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Death of Vernon Campbell, Class of '55

To all those school mates of Vernon Campbell at Hemphill-Caples School and Welch HS he passed Oct 9 2010 at a VA facility in Salem VA. I knew Vernon from early childhood and sad to say parted after graduation, with no contact until the first fabulous fifties reunion, (he couldn't attend due to illness but I had a long telephone conversation with him). Vernon was a great person and I'm proud to say I count him as one of my greatest friends.

Re: Death of Vernon Campbell, Class of '55

"Lee" as we callled him, was a good friend of mine, although I haven't had any contact with him since I left Capels in "57.
I see Margaret and Betty at the reunions.
My thoughts and condolances go to the family.

Re: Death of Vernon Campbell, Class of '55

Mr. Vernon Lee Campbell

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

SALEM, Va. — Mr. Vernon Lee Campbell, 73, of Salem, Va., formerly of Welch, passed away Saturday, October 9, 2010 at the Veterans Hospital in Salem, Va.

Born April 5, 1937 at Hemphill, he was the son of the late Walter Vernon and Hester Hyder Blevins Campbell. Vernon was a accountant working for A. T. Massey Coal Company. He served his country in the U.S. Army and was of the Baptist faith.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by an infant son, John David Campbell; stepmother, Jean Gibson Campbell; half brother, Carl Blevins; and two half sisters, Alice Blevins Kobel and Brenda Sue Campbell Hopson.

Survivors: Wife of 50 years, Jeanette Longo Campbell of Salem, Va.; daughter, Cathy Denise Bright Rotenberry and husband Larry of Salem, Va.; grandson, Brian Steven Rotenberry of Salem, Va.; sisters, Margaret Barker and husband Bill of Sparta, N.C., Betty Klosterman and husband David of Cincinnati, Ohio; half brother, James Blevins of Biloxi, Miss.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday, October 12, 2010 at 2:00 p.m. from the Burns Wornal Chapel of the Memorial Funeral Directory on the Athens Road in Princeton with Pastor Art Hearne officiating. Entombment will follow in the Woodlawn Memorial Park Mausoleum in Bluewell. Friends may call Tuesday one hour prior to services.

Friends and family may leave on-line condolences at www.memorialfd.com.

Pallbearers will be J. C. Rotenberry, Marshall Page, Ernie Stalnaker, Randall Dority, Tyrone Long and David Barker

Honorary pallbearers will be Harvey Furrow, Luther J. Mills, Arvel Wyatt, Joe Monti, William “Bill” Barker, David Klosterman and Robert “Bob” Hopson.

The Campbell family is being served by the Memorial Funeral Directory and Cremation Center on the Athens Road in Princeton.