Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jimmy Gianato

WELCH — McDowell County native Jimmy Gianato was appointed to the position of Homeland Security Advisor for the state of West Virginia by Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin Tuesday.

As per the appointment, Gianato will now be the governor’s official counsel on homeland security matters as he continues to serve as director of the state’s Homeland Security and Emergency Management office.

Gianato is also West Virginia’s liaison with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and coordinator of all homeland security activity within the state. Gianato previously served as director of West Virginia Homeland Security after being appointed by then governor Sen. Joe Manchin, D.-W.Va.

“I am truly honored that Governor Tomblin has placed his confidence in me to help move the West Virginia Homeland Security Program to the next level,” Gianato said. “Working as a team with Secretary Joe Thornton and our other partners at the federal, state and local level, I am committed to ensuring that West Virginia will have one of the best programs in the nation to protect our citizens.”

Gianato already has ideas for homeland security programs and projects the state must undertake.

“We look forward to taking our program to the next level and look at new initiatives,” Gianato said. “Our ultimate goal is to keep West Virginia safe. We’re going to look at important intelligence sharing methods within our community. We’re looking to eliminate duplicate efforts by local departments and allow them in put into the process we currently have. We’re going to look at the program in general and see what needs to be worked on as far as collaborative efforts on a local, state, and national level.”

There are several local projects Gianato wants to address as well in his new position.

“We have a lot of programs coming to work on, such as the planning of the Boy Scout Jamboree that’s coming to the state next year, the issues surrounding the Bluestone Dam, and everyday emergencies we have,” Gianato said. “We’re always adding planning and preparation to our program of homeland security.”

Tomblin said that Gianato was “ideal” for the role of Homeland Security Advisor for the governor and state.

“Jimmy Gianato brings extensive knowledge and a great deal of experience in public safety matters to this very essential role,” Tomblin said. “This is an ideal fit because he is responsible for a range of homeland security issues on a daily basis. But more importantly, Jimmy is passionate about his work and I am confident that he will bring that same commitment to these new responsibilities.”

Tomblin also highlighted Gianato’s service in professional public safety roles in McDowell County before Gianato’s government appointment.

“He has a long history working with the law enforcement community, coordinating and implementing strategic plans for emergency responses, along with duties that involve public policy,” Tomblin said. “Jimmy has a broad understanding of how the federal and state governments must interact to maintain public safety.”