Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reba Honaker New Mayor of Welch

As announced in the Bluefield Daily Telegraph, congratulations Mayor Reba Honaker:

February 25, 2011

Reba Honaker selected to fill Martha Moore’s term as mayor
BILL ARCHER
Bluefield Daily Telegraph The Bluefield Daily Telegraph Fri Feb 25, 2011, 04:58 AM EST

WELCH — After a four-month long search, Welch city council selected long-time Welch business woman and tireless community volunteer, Reba Honaker, to finish the unexpired term of her close friend, the late Welch Mayor Martha Moore who died Oct. 13, 2010.

Honaker said she was proud to fill the term as mayor of her dear friend. “Mayor Moore’s shoes can not be filled,” Honaker was quoted as stating in a press release announcing her selection.

“I only wish to walk beside those shoes and pray that God’s plan is carried out. My main goal as mayor will be to see that Mayor Moore’s projects are completed and to carry out her vision for the city,” she said.

“Contrary to recent national news stories, I do not view the city of Welch as a dying community, but one which is looking forward to rebirth and growth,” Honaker was quoted in the press release as stating.

Danny Barie, Welch city attorney said that the council met at 2 p.m., with a capacity crowd in the council chambers. Barie said that Robin G. Lee, city clerk, had served as acting Welch mayor since Moore’s death. According to Barie, there was only one item action on the agenda, and council moved to appoint Honaker mayor. She will officially take office on March 2.

Honaker is a lifelong McDowell County resident. She grew up on Belcher Mountain near the Welch Airport. She graduated from Welch High School and Concord University. She served as a teacher in McDowell County Schools until her retirement, and also operated Flowers by Reba for 21 years before retiring.

Honaker and her husband, Charles Honaker, have two children, Darren Honaker and his wife Patty Honaker of Clifton Forge, Va., and a daughter, Joi Honaker Ogle and husband, Jeremy Ogle of Hillsville, Va. Charles and Reba Honaker also have four grandchildren, Christopher, Erik and Mason Honaker and Wyatt Ogle.

In addition to her work in the schools and in business, Honaker is a member of Elkhorn Baptist Church, past president of the American Association of University Women, is secretary of the Welch Kiwanis Club, is the treasurer and past president of the McDowell County Chamber of Commerce, is currently president of the American Legion Auxiliary, past president of District 6, American Legion Auxiliary, past vice president of McArts, chair of the McDowell County chapter, American Cancer Society Relay for Life 2009-’10 and is a board member of the Welch Building Commission.

— Contact Bill Archer at barcher@bdtonline.com

Re: Reba Honaker New Mayor of Welch

I think Reba was a great choice as Mayor
She and MArtha were best friends and I know she will proceed as MArtha Had done for Welch, Martha did a great job for Welch as Mayor.
I have known Reba all my life. She directed my Wedding and even directed my oldest sons wedding. She is like a member of the family.She is great person
Congrats Reba and best of luck. I know you will do a great job. You have all my love and prayers