Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coal

Does anyone know just where this mine is in McDowell County?

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

KIMBALL — The interest generated in the new Spike series, “Coal” has rekindled the dreams of at least some McDowell County residents in taking coalfield-based tourism to the next level.

“There are a lot more people coming into the county all the time, searching for Cobalt Coal and wanting to learn about the coal industry,” Jay Chatman said. Chatman, 62, worked for many years as ad director of the Welch Daily News, but constantly collected relics of the coalfield region’s storied past. Several photographs in his collection grace the halls of the Welch municipal building, and his home in Carswell Hollow is crammed full of artifacts that tell the story of McDowell’s coal mining and railroad heritage.

“People have had an interest in coal mining for a long time, but the ‘Coal’ series has definitely expanded the range of people coming into the county,” Chatman said. He noted that in the past, many visitors with roots in the coalfields came back to revisit the places where they, their parents or grandparents lived. However, he also noted that the new wave of visitors don’t know a great deal about coalfield history, but are eager to learn.

“I’m working now to develop a coal and rail museum so visitors will have a place where they can learn more about coal mining,” Chatman said. He said that since he is on the verge of retirement, he can devote more time and energy to the effort. In the mean time, Chatman is working with others in Kimball on the community’s centennial celebration set to begin at the first of July and run through the 6th Annual Kimball Kids Reunion, July 8-10.

“Coal,” is drawing interest from a lot of quarters. Dennis Clark, now a resident of Morgantown, who is a 25-year veteran coal miner, spent the first 8 years of his career mining coal in Itmann, Wyoming County. During his years of working in low coal, he encountered several interesting ideas and wanted to share several of them with Spike for use as fillers “for your next year’s ‘Coal’ programs.”

Clark set up a scenario where two coal miners were arguing, and when one made a credible threat; “The response being there is only fear and atmosphere between us.” He also recommended a duck-walk competition to see who was the fastest coal miner walking under low top, and also letting the miners know that one of the coal miners on the shift is a preacher in order to see how quickly the excessive cussing vanishes. “He doesn’t request this, but a life lesson about respect from his co-workers is noticeable.”

He also suggested that the film crew attend a ramp festival in the area — there are plenty to attend. He also pointed out that baby oil and cotton balls are good to get to get caked on coal dust out of eyebrows and eye lashes.

Debra Fazio, spokesperson for Spike, said that the production company (Original Productions) doesn’t script the programs. “Since this is a documentary/reality series, we don’t create any fictional storylines,” she said. “We follow the natural stories that emanated from the miners and the company itself.” She was, however, interested in the comments of Clark and others.

The next new episode of “Coal” airs at 8 p.m., tonight on Spike.

— Contact Bill Archer at barcher@bdtonline.com

Re: Coal

The mine is far "up a holler" off Rte.52 in the vicinity of Roderfield according to a friend who still lives in McDowell Cty.

Approximately three(3) miles from intersection of US 52 and county road 4, up West Chester Hollow off county road 4 in the vicinity of Big Sandy and Hensley, been hunting up that way many times way back when I lived in Roderfield in the early to mid fifties.

Thanks for the info.
I was sorta disapointed the first time I watched it. I was expecting to see a mine like the ones at Capels and Hemphill, etc. Then I got to thinking they really don't mine like that anymore.
It still shows how hard miners have to work even with the modern equipment they have now.
I am still proud to have grown up in coal mining camp.
Life was hard but everyone was the same, so we didn't know any different.

It's what we used to call a "truck mine," no tipple, no preparation plant, definitely no coal camp. The miners and the bosses commute in, and the coal commutes out. Go to Keystone if you want to see something like the classic set-up still going.
Did you see Ronnie Collins in the last two episodes? WHS '64 grad still working the mining engineering business. It's a reminder there's still plenty of coal deep in old McDowell County.

And, it's a reminder that there are still good-paying jobs there in the county.
Both my brothers, Ronnie & Connie Collins, have had very successful careers working in the coal mining industry in southern WV....during the bad times as well as the good. They just stuck with it.

Needless to say, I am SO proud of both of them.

Ray Kiser
It's what we used to call a "truck mine," no tipple, no preparation plant, definitely no coal camp. The miners and the bosses commute in, and the coal commutes out. Go to Keystone if you want to see something like the classic set-up still going.
Did you see Ronnie Collins in the last two episodes? WHS '64 grad still working the mining engineering business. It's a reminder there's still plenty of coal deep in old McDowell County.
Regretfully, the one in Keystone shut down a few weeks back.