Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
History continues to crumble in downtown Welch.

Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV
January 27, 2012
Partial collapse in Welch: Debris from fire-damaged Libby Building falls onto adjacent structure

By CHARLES OWENS
Bluefield Daily Telegraph

WELCH — — History continues to crumble in downtown Welch.

A portion of the five-story Libby Building collapsed early Thursday morning with the debris falling onto the adjacent Southern Insurance Agency structure on McDowell Street. No injuries were reported in the 4:30 a.m. collapse.

City officials say there is still a danger of more of the building collapsing.

“We have the whole area blocked off, and we are re-routing traffic,” City Attorney Danny Barie said. “There is still a danger to anyone on foot or car.”

Barie said a portion of the historic Libby Building fell onto the roof of the two-story insurance agency — causing significant damage to the building.

“About a third of the roof of Southern Insurance is collapsed now,” Barie said. “When the debris from the Libby Building fell on Southern Insurance, the force (of the impact) blew out the front glass windows.”

Barie said city officials are hoping to fast track the demolition of the remainder of the Libby Building.

“The city’s position now — and we’ve contacted a majority of our council members to get their viewpoint and their authorization — and the consensus is the building has to come down,” Barie said. “If we have to bear the cost initially to do that — we will. But we are seeking ways to recover that cost with any insurance coverage we can get on that building, and any help we can get from the state. But public safety issues outweigh the costs now.”

A fire of unknown origin destroyed the Libby Building Tuesday. The structure, which is more than 70 years old, housed 13 apartments and two businesses, a bar and a vacant storefront. The cause of the fire remains under investigation by the state fire marshal’s office.

Barie said the American Red Cross and the Safe Housing and Economic Development office in Welch are working to help relocate the 10 families who were displaced by the fire.

Also Thursday, the Bluefield Union Mission’s Action Team in Welch was deployed to provide disaster relief assistance to meet the emergency needs of those impacted by the apartment fire, according to mission director Craig Hammond.

Hammond said temporary housing, clothing, furniture, food and personal items are just some of the things being offered to ensure the emergency needs of the victims are met. Hammond said all disaster assistance is free, and is paid for by donations from the region’s citizens and places of worship.

Hammond said the mission’s branch office (known as The Marshall House) at 409 Virginia Avenue in Welch is staffed and stands ready to accept applications from those directly impacted by the Libby Building fire and other isolated disasters. The mission is currently helping four of the residents with shelter, clothing, food, and transportation. Fire victims are urged to apply in person or call 304-436-4092 for assistance.

The city of Bluefield also announced Thursday that it was temporarily suspending Bluefield Area Transit routes in McDowell County due to the downtown detour until Monday.

City crews continue to monitor the building in the event of an additional collapse.

“The Libby Building itself is pretty much entirely gutted,” Barie said. “What we are working on now is the demolition of the building. We are obtaining quotes on an emergency basis.”

Barie said he didn’t know the extent of the damage to the Southern Insurance Agency building, and if the structure could be repaired.

“I’m not a contractor, but with my limited knowledge of just looking at this things - I think it can,” Barie said. “But the Southern Insurance building shares a wall with the Libby Building for some length. I don’t know how much of a wall it shares with Libby but that’s always a problem.”

— Contact Charles Owens at cowens@bdtonline.com

Re: History continues to crumble in downtown Welch.

Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV
January 27, 2012
Blaze impacts residents’ routines

By GREG JORDAN
Bluefield Daily Telegraph

WELCH — At first, some people thought the cloud hanging over the city was early morning fog, but the grayish white mist kept getting thicker and spreading its tentacles through the valley. Then came that acrid, burned smell that sticks in the throat.

When downtown Welch came into view, a thick column of gray smoke rose from the smoldering shell of the historic Libby Building. For the sake of safety, city workers directed traffic around the scene. A massive gap, that gravity and fire had torn out of the burned-out remains, took the place of the brick wall that had fallen early Thursday morning into the adjoining Southern Insurance Agency.

Daily activities continued as much as possible while city workers directed traffic away from the fire scene.

The fire that destroyed the apartment building Wednesday, how it started, and the smoke were ongoing topics of conversation at the nearby Citizens Drug Store.

“Smoke? It goes all the way over the hill,” said one customer, 28-year-old Brandi Blankenship of Welch. “This morning I thought it was fog, but by 11 o’clock I realized that it was smoke.”

Losing the Libby Building to fire highlighted the state of Welch’s buildings to another resident. He could remember when the city was “a booming place.”

“Really, there are so many run down buildings,” said Frederick Kirk, 44, of Coalwood. “The city should do something about them. It seems like we lose a building, lose a building. Before you know it, there won’t be a town.”

Kirk said that Welch has many interesting structures; so finding ways to use them should be a priority. He suggested creating a senior center and activity centers for young people.

“I’d hate to see them destroyed,” he said. “We need to get more assistance down here. We need a skating rink, a game room, something for the kids to do instead of being out in the streets and getting in trouble.”

City workers stood at street corners and intersections to ensure that the rerouted traffic didn’t get motorists too confused.

Drivers stopped frequently to ask for directions to the post office and the state Department of Motor Vehicles. City worker Teddy Gillespie, 36, said that he and his fellow workers had been giving directions “all day long.”

“There’s nothing to it,” he said. “It just gets aggravating.”

Sometimes drivers just idled in front of him as they figured out which way to go.

“Some of them say, ‘I don’t know where I’m going.’ Gillespie laughed as cars passed him. “I say, ‘I don’t know where you’re going, either!”

At a nearby convenience store and gas station, residents were talking outside. The smoldering shell of a building was just down the block. When asked about the fire, they pointed out a man who had once called the Libby Building home.

Barney Rowe, 66, had lived on the third floor with his wife, Nellie. They were watching television and drinking coffee when they heard somebody banging on doors and screaming that the building was on fire.

They left immediately, taking nothing with them. They are currently staying with relatives.

“We didn’t even smell smoke,” he said in the store. “It went (burned) fast. We ran out the back door under the porch. I hollered for my next door neighbor to get out, too.”

For the Rowes, Wednesday’s fire was not a new experience. They lost their previous home, the Tyson Towers, when that structure burned three years ago.

He looked at the smoking remains. “I guess that will be another parking lot,” he said, adding that he hoped that the downtown detours would end soon. He was also waiting to see which steps to take next.

“I’m just waiting to see what happens. I hope to stay in Welch,” Rowe said. “I’ve lived here all my life, in the county.”

Life was moving ahead, too, for employees of the Southern Insurance Agency. The company’s semi-retired president, Charles Gearhart, looked at his building. The damage was not visible, though one employee said the roof had “a hole the size of a Volkswagen.”

Gearhart said his company is still doing business.

“We’re looking for a couple of temporary locations,” he said.

A few minutes later inside the building shell, more bricks fell with a crash and aquick cloud of dusk as flames flickered for a moment.

Over on the next block, a long line of vehicles formed on Wyoming Street near the courthouse as a tractor trailer negotiated a sharp turn toward U.S. Route 52. As more smoke rose into the air, life continued in downtown Welch.