Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Iconic McDowell County drive-in restaurant in midst of expansion

Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV
May 14, 2012
Iconic McDowell County drive-in restaurant in midst of expansion
By BILL ARCHER
Bluefield Daily Telegraph

WELCH — In its heyday, visitors coming to the city of Welch thought it was the closest to New York City they would see in their lifetime.

Much has changed since the 1940s and ’50s when a business or a residence occupied nearly every available space in Welch . Mine mechanization eliminated the need for untold thousands of coal mining jobs and better roads meant experienced coal miners could travel from outside McDowell County to work in the ever-shrinking job pool.

However, some of the really special places that continue to make Welch a unique place are still in place. One of the county’s iconic restaurants — the Sterling Drive-In — is still serving customers and smiles after more than 67 years in business.

“We absolutely believe in McDowell County in every way,” Harold McBride, present owner of the Sterling Drive-In on Stewart Street in Welch said. “We are in the process of remodeling the restaurant to take it back to the ’50s-’60s look that it had many years ago. We’re also working on the McDowell County Sports Hall of Fame and adding another room that will feature McDowell County and West Virginia artifacts.”

Ricky and Dwight Jewell were working on the framing to install a new exterior window at the restaurant. They teased McBride that he just walked up in order to get in the picture.

“We work to get something to eat,” Ricky Jewell said.

“That’s not such a bad deal,” Dwight Jewell said.

Through the years, the Sterling Drive-In has earned a much-deserved reputation for providing some of the best food in the region. With its canopy to keep drive-up customers out of the elements as well as a dine-in restaurant and soon, two meeting rooms, the Sterling appears poised to serve customers well into the 21st century and perhaps beyond.

“The additions we’re working on will allow us to expand the kitchen,” McBride said. He has owned the iconic restaurant for four years.

“The federal prison has brought a lot more traffic into this part of town,” McBride said. “Before the prison opened, we were told that we should expect a change.” McBride, a member if the McDowell County Commission, said that the initial response was to commission a study to recommend a direction.

“I think the time for studies is past,” McBride said. “I think it’s time to roll up our sleeves and get to work. That’s what we’re doing here at the Sterling Drive-In.”

The restaurant has remained open throughout the remodeling process.

— Contact Bill Archer at barcher@bdtonline.com

Re: Iconic McDowell County drive-in restaurant in midst of expansion

Often on Sundays back in the 50's my Dad would spring for Footlongs for the family.
Since we had no car, it was my job to walk down from Central ave and tote them home.

Almost heaven!