Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1963 Football Team

I am in the process of filling out an application for the McDowell County Sports Hall of Fame for the undefeated 1963 Welch High School Football Team. I would like to include every members name and resume of life experience. So, if you don't mind send that to me ASAP, sbary@frontiernet.net.

McDowell County Sports Hall Of Fame

Steve,

Who do I need to contact to nominate someone for the Hall of Fame? My Great Uncle, Roy Bailey, was a 1938 or 1939 graduate of Welch High and played football. I'm not sure what position he played but he was selected to the all state team when he was a senior. Information about sports back during that period is very hard to find. I have searched the internet for data, but have found very little. Uncle Roy served in WWII as a glider pilot. He was shot down over Holland in September 1944 and spent the remainder of the war in a German POW camp, Stalag Luft 17, which had the movie "The Great Escape" made about it. When Uncle Roy returned to civilian life after the war, he enrolled at Morehead College in Kentucky. He played football there and is a member of their Hall of Fame. He taught school in Mercer County and was assistant principal at Bluefield High School when he retired. He passed away in the past several years. He was a wonderful man and I would like to honor him by nominating him to the McDowell County Sports Hall of Fame. Any assistance you can give would be appreciated. I graduated from WHS in 1962. Jim Smithberger's sister Janet was one of my good friends. She and I graduated together and I saw her last June 2012 at the 50th reunion for our class at Pipesteam.

Thanks,

David L. Walker

Re: McDowell County Sports Hall Of Fame

I would suggest you start with the old newspapers on film at the library in Welch. They have a good selection and you can print out information that you could use to support your relative's nomination.

Re: 1963 Football Team

Steve,

If they were including fans of that team, I think I would qualify! I followed you guys as closely as a 12-year old could. To this day, I'm still disappointed that you weren't made state champs! You always will be champs in the hearts of Maroon Wave fans around the world.

Hope you and Rosemary are doing well. I also remember serving as the altarboy at your wedding.

Roy

Re: McDowell County Sports Hall Of Fame

Sorry, but I live in Texas and do not have access to the old files for Welch Daily News. Last time I was in Welch in June 2012, the newspaper office was closed as was the library.