Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
old stories from dances and sock hops

HI
My dad Russ Cooke was the DJ that did all the sock hop dances and had a morning show in the late 50's early 60's in Welch. I am putting together a book and need as many old stories, memories and any other comments from those who remember him as possible, it is very important and would mean a lot to me if you could email me any stories or memories you have of dad. Thank you in advance for your time and memories.

Re: old stories from dances and sock hops

Saturday morning Sock Hops at the Pocahontas Theater were a highlight of the week. I hope that you will post some your responses. I am sure that there will be many. db

thanks I will share all and any of the stories and memories I get as I said this is for a book for my dad I have been scanning pictures for about 2 months now, any I can get my hands on and grab from my moms old stash, have some good ones from when me and my sister was little and a few from the radio days. I have an old reel to reel I want to try and get converted to a CD to go with the book but its so fragile I am afraid they will mess it up. and its not like it can be replaced.

Some where on this site is something about the Saturday sock hop.

Links to Russ Cook/WHS stories

Try this link

.....or type the link into the browser address bar yourself:

http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=Russ%2BCook&sp-a=00052686-sp00000006

Re: Links to Russ Cook/WHS stories

thanks

I would love to see that CD. My sister Wanda Sue White McCall was best friends with Maggie Phillips. Maggie asked my Mom (Delphia White) if Sue could go to the sock hop with her, said it was going to be the last time she would get to dance. My Mom asked her what she meant by that, and Maggie told her the doctor was going to remove her leg the following week. She had cancer. Maggie lived in the alley straight across from the entrance to Welch Emergency Hospital. Mom let Sue go with her (first time Sue ever went to the sock hop) and Maggie danced! Sue had a purple plaid skirt, Maggie had a black sweater, and they would take turns wearing that outfit! How special it would be to see if that's what Maggie wore that day! She passed away about 2 years later, I think it was 1963. She was a beautiful young lady.