Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
where did the name 'maroon waves", come from

does anyone have any idea how the school came to be called 'Maroon Waves?" I saw the question posted on facebook and would be very interested to know how it came to be. I would really appreciate it if anyone can help.
Thanks,
Ada McBrayer

Re: where did the name 'maroon waves", come from

I don't know the answer to your question but I always thought it was linked to the University of Alabama's Crimson Tide. Perhaps an Alabama grad was involved in the selection of the name.

Barry, WHS '52

I don't know the who, when or why of the Maroon Wave name, but consider this: I perceived the name as a symbolic description of a team rolling down the field as a powerful group, like a strong, coordinated wave. The "Wave" name is used many places. Tulane University became the Green Wave in 1920. Fresno State is the Red Wave. Then there are the Blue Wave at Darien High School in Connecticut and the Orange Wave at Thomas Jefferson High in Brooklyn, NY. I hadn't even considered the Crimson Tide of Alabama, but it's certainly the same idea. Marshall's Thundering Herd presents the concept not as water but as a stampede.

Thanks, Richard. I don't guess it really matters where it came from. I loved all the examples you gave. The little town I live in Narrows, VA, the high school is the Green Waves. Someone on facebook asked me about it. I just really enjoyed my time on The Hill~~~I loved the Maroon Waves~~

Ada
If I ever re-retired from Florida to the north I would consider Narrows, seems like a nice place there on the river and my roots are just south over the mountain along Wolf Creek.

My family left Welch in 1949 when I was 13 years old. I lived on Grandview
ave behind the old Ballpark called Blakley Field. All at home football
games were played in Blakley Field and the team at that time wore MAROON and
White Uniforms. I would suspect that the name came from there. As a
matter of interest, Welch at that time had a minor league base ball team
called the Welch Miners. They played their home games in the same Blakely
Field.

This is for Barry Shrout: If you are the same Shrout, then you or
a brother played football and if I am correct your family lived near the
Emergency Hospital near where Browns Creek entered Tug River.

Larry, I used to live up Wolf Creek. It is such a wonderful place.

As a devout and long time University of Alabama Crimson Tide fan the name "Crimson Tide" was originated in 1907.

My son has been an ALABAMA fan for most of his life. ROLL TIDE~~~~