Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
welch high school reunion

I wanted to see the interest of having a reunion in 2015. This is for anyone that attending school in the 70's late 60's or early 80's. I thought about having a reunion of each of the individual classes as well as everyone all together in one weekend. I thought about having a relaxed weekend of rekindling friendships and a come as your are affair. What do you think. I have moved back to Roanoke and would like to get this together for the summer of 2015. what would be a good month to have it. I would like your thoughts and ideas.

Re: welch high school reunion

email for welch high classmates is welchhighreunion70s@yahoo.com
Please let me know your contact information
thanks

I am all for a 70's reunion. I have had a blast at the previous reunions and always enjoy seeing my friends from WHS.

AB

I have never been able to attend any of the reunions since I left in 73 and would look to be able to see some of my classmates and friends. Count me in as long as work doesn't prevent it.

I just spoke with the Princeton Elks GM Keith Frey about the WHS 70's reunion plans. The Elks is available for Saturday July 18th 2015 which is the day after our Welch vs. Gary "Barrel Bowl" golf tournament. His place will hold 200 guests, cash bar, dance floor, full buffet dinner & has a stage for a band or DJ. Outside alcohol is not permitted and the bartender fee is $25 hr. If the dinner is catered the room charge is $500. If the Elks provide the food the room charge is $200. Per head food fee is $16 adults and $10 per child. His number is 304-425-4220 if you have questions. SJB WHS '74

IMPORTANT !!!! - Princeton Elks GM Keith Frey sent me an another email late this afternoon. Apparently one of his staff has already booked his venue for Saturday July 18th. The Princeton Elks will not be available for the WHS 70's reunion on that day.
As an alternative, I could check with the Bluefield Elks, the Douglas Center in Princeton or we could continue with the Princeton Elks but have the dinner dance on Friday instead of Saturday. If Friday the 17th would work, maybe we could plan Saturday activities such as a softball game or a Princeton Rays or Bluefield Jays game on Saturday evening. Just a thought. I will post results from the Bluefield Elks and the Princeton Douglas Center tomorrow. Sam Baker WHS
I will also check with Fincastle and Pipestem tomorrow.

As promised, I have checked with the four locations that could potentially handle our reunion.

Results from today's inquiries -
Pipestem - Completely booked.

Fincastle - Completely booked.

Douglas Center - No answer and the City of Princeton had no clue about who to contact.

Bluefield Elks - AVAILABLE. Banquet hall can serve up to 400 guests. No charge for the room however a two meat dinner is fairly expensive at $20.99 per head plus an 18% gratuity and 6% Sales Tax. Cloth linens and dinner is served on nice dinnerware.
Let me know if we need more info. I'll be glad to coordinate as necessary. Sam Baker WHS '74

I will also check with the Chuck Mathena Center in Princeton tomorrow. If available the CMC would unquestionably be the best place for this reunion. I've had multiple events there with my Insurance Agency and all have been great.

I'll report back tomorrow with results.

Sam Baker WHS '74

We will take all suggestions to the meeting on February 6th and as a committee make the decisions from what is available. At the short notice we will need somewhere that will do all the setting up and food etc....

Results of today's adventures -

The Chuck Mathena Center in Princeton is booked for a wedding. Unless someone has a quick change of heart, it will not be available for our event.

I had a fantastic tour of the new "Rail Yard" facility in downtown Bluefield. Betsy showed me the upstairs (and made a great Bloody Mary BTW). The room has tons of character but would only accommodate the size of our group as a stand up buffet. They have a state of the art sound stage, private cash bartend area and would welcome our presence. I'd really like to support the local community by having the event there, however it just isn't large enough IMO. Betsy offered a "medium" buffet at $25 head plus the std 18% gratuity and 6% sales tax. Additionally, the room has a $500 per evening charge.

The Douglas Center in Princeton is no longer offering rentals. The Fred Gilbert Center is now being rented by the local Vietnam Vets organization. I spoke with Rick Spively but he was uncertain of the availability. He will ck and return my call soon.

The Quality Suites (formerly the Holiday Inn on the hill) next to WVVA has a great room that I have used for my Sam Baker Insurance Christmas parties in the past. IMO it would be perfect in that we could have our celebration and have sleeping rooms without travel. Thanks to Marvin Miles for the suggestion. I spoke with the banquet manager today. She had a "tentative" reservation on our date that she is going to confirm / deny over the weekend.

If the Quality Suites are available for our date it is the facility of choice IMO. If not, I suggest we quickly lease the Bluefield Elks.

I will report upon receipt of the info above.

Your humble servant, Sam Baker WHS '74

Fantastic News -

I met with the GM of the Quality Inn (formerly the Holiday Inn) this morning and she has agreed to drop the "other" tenative reservation and allow us to take the July 18th date.

I have personally rented this room a few times with great success. It is plenty large enough, has a buffet and a cash bar and a block of 50 sleeping rooms for us on July 17 and July 18 if needed. Full two meat buffet at $18.95 per head. Room is $300 Bartender set up is $100 plus $20 per hour. No real dance floor but plenty of room. Also, has Live Band or DJ accomodations. Room rates are discounted to $90 plus tax. Smoking and non smoking rooms available.

PROBLEM - She will only hold this for us until this Friday Jan 23rd. If we cannot give her a firm response by that date, she will release the room back to the public.

Given all of the places I've checked on, this is absolutely our best option. I especially like the availability of sleeping rooms without travel.

May I suggest an accelerated emergency meeting of the board that has the authority to make this type of decision?

Let me know how if we want to proceed. Regards, Sam Baker WHS '74

Sam thanks for sharing the information. We won't be able to make any decisions until we meet on February 6th. The meeting is planned for February 6th at 6 pm at the Sterling Drive Inn , weather permitting. We need class representatives for the reunion, for each class at that meeting. We are not at this time able to make any firm commitment concerning a place or date. We need to meet and contact the classmates and see what is the preferred date for the reunion. I also have been contacting places to have the reunion as well. I ask that all classmates that are reading this to please send me your thoughts to this email address Welchhighschoolreunion70s@yahoo.com .....looking forward to seeing everyone at the reunion which will be this summer in 2015. We form the committee and we make decisions as a group, looking forward to seeing you all there and please let me know your thoughts so that I can take it to the meeting on February 6th.

The reunion meeting for February 6th has time change we will meet at 5.30 pm instead of 6 pm.see you there.

I think it would be a mistake not to secure the Quality Inn. The choices of facilities are limited here in southern WV and everything around here appears to be booked. Per the response to the post that Donna Quesenberry posted on FB about a month ago the response was very positive. I don't believe there would be a problem with enough ppl for the reunion and/or the date. Everyone is excited about this. Hopefully something can be done before the deadline the Quality Inn gave, 1/23/15.
Venetia Gordon Brand, class of '78
440-522-8081.

We need to form the reunion committee before we make any decisions. We have always formed the reunion committee and the committee as a group makes the decisions. What is the number for the quality suites.

I spoke with Sherry this morning and forwarded the info from the Quality Suites that I had gathered. Good Luck with your reunion. SJB

Would love to attend late 60's, 70's & 80's combined reunion. July is a great month for me!

If you are on facebook they have a welch high reunion 70s group page on facebook.also be sure and send your email and contact information to the Welchhighschoolreunion70s@yahoo.com

If you are on facebook they have a welch high reunion 70s group page on facebook.also be sure and send your email and contact information to the Welchhighschoolreunion70s@yahoo.com. see the information for save the date

Sammy Joe, thank you so much for all the research you have offered for the Seventies reunion.

BE SURE AND CHECK THE SAVE THE DATE FOR ALL THE VENUE AND RESERVATIONS INFORMATION

Re: welch high school reunion venue

Have you considered checking in to Twin Falls?

I am confused, has there been a decision on venue? And if so, is it going to be the Quality Inn as I would prefer book my reservation now.

Thanks

Yes the reunion will be at the quality hotel check the post that says save the date it has the contact information for the hotel and rooms what we will discuss at the meeting this evening is the cost of the dinner. Yes book your room now. Looking forward to seeing you there.

The Quality Inn now has only smoking rooms available.

If you would prefer non smoking,the Comfort Inn (Blfd Va) is approx. 6 miles away 276-326-3688 $95 per night. The Holiday Inn Express (Princeton) approx. 12 miles away 304-425-8156 has 60 rooms @$116 per night & The Hampton Inn 304-431-2580 (Princeton) has 70 rooms available @ $121 per night.

All 3 places would be nice however you would have to drive to the Quality Inn in Bluefield for our reunion event. Hope that helps.

See you all there......come a day early for our "Barrel Bowl" Welch vs. Gary golf tournament. If you are a non golfer come have free lunch with us. Sam Baker WHS '74