Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
John D. Ashworth, Esq.

I would be grateful for any information about John D. Ashworth, Esq. (1918 - 1958)
Mr. Ashworth lived with his mother and father in Welch, and he may have gone to Welch high school.
I do know that he practiced law for a period of time, and he practiced in Welch.
He was only 40 years old when he died from a brain tumor. He passed away in the old Grace Hospital.
Thank you so very much.

Re: John D. Ashworth, Esq.

I graduated from WHS in 1954 but don't remember a lawyer named Ashworth. I think that Martindale-Hubbell was publishing in 1958, which might provide some info.

Copied from the 1985 publication "Welch & Its People"
John David "Dave" Ashworth, a 1936 graduate of Welch High School (WHS), received his A.B. from West Virginia University in 1940. February 1942 he received his LL.B degree & his commission in the R.O.T.C Reserves. He immediately entered the Army as Second Lieutenant & was promoted to Captain.
He was overseas 2 years & was the holder of the Combat Infantryman Badge, the Purple Heart, Bronze Star & 5 campaign stars. He was a member of the 2nd Division Infantry in Normandy, North France, the Rhineland, Arclennes, & Central Europe. He participated in the Battle of the Bulge & was wounded.
December 1945 he was discharged with the rank of Major. He purchased a half interest in Ashworth Motor Sales in Welch. He was an active manager & expanded to training personnel under a reorganization of the firm.
(Note: Ashworth Motor Sales, established by his father, Lonnie Lee "Lon" Ashworth in 1922, was one of the first car dealers in southern West Virginia. In one of their peak years they assembled (yes, assembled!) & sold 654 new Model T's. The one seater sold for $350; the 2-seater touring car, $400.)
Dave also opened a law office in Welch in 1945 and engaged in private practice. In 1948 he was a Republican nominee for the McDowell County Criminal Court.
In June 1949 he married Opal Sutherland of Grundy, VA. Their son, David, graduated from WHS in 1969; and daughter Mary Lynn was a 1971 WHS graduate.
In 1950 Dave left the automobile business to devote full time to his law practice. In 1954 he was President of the McDowell County Bar Association. He was a member of the American Legion.
April 15, 1958 he underwent surgery for a brain tumor. He rallied & worked in his office for several weeks. However, Thursday, December 2, 1958 he died at Grace Hospital at the age of forty.
….Note: his paternal cousin, Darrell Ashworth, was a 1939 WHS graduate.

Dear Mr. Skuja:
Thank you so much for the information on Mr. Ashworth. It is very much appreciated. I have been trying to put together a modest biography of him, but I was running of the dead ends. Four instance, I did not know that he had any children. I did know that his wife came from Haysi-- just a bit south of Grundy – – and I am pretty sure that she is still living in Blacksburg Virginia.
As an aside, I found a single copy of the book that you referenced. It was on a Alibris.com and I have ordered it.
I'm going to try and track down a photograph of Mr. Ashworth. Maybe one accompanied his obituary, which may be on file in the funeral home which provided his last services, or there may be one in the courthouse I just don't know, but that's what research is all about.
Once again, thank you so very much for the information you gave to me.