Return to Website

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall

Maroon Wave Assembly Hall - (refresh page to remove popup ads)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WHS 50s and 60s Reunion

Former students of both the 50s and 60s WHS classes are invited to attend their upcoming reunion 10/9-11, 2020.
If you plan to attend please call Pipestem Resort at 304-466-1800 ASAP to reserve your room. Reunion contacts are Pam Miller Rose 304-320-6177 for the sixties classes and Ron Thompson 434-971-3560 for the fifties classes.

Re: WHS 50s and 60s Reunion

OK Folks, Here is the rest of the story....well at least the ending to the latest chapter: (Good job, Pam Miller Rose!)

Dear classmates and friends from the Welch High School classes of the Sensational Sixties,

Plans are being finalized for the first-ever combined reunion of the Welch High School classes of 1950 through 1969, the two decades known as the Fabulous Fifties and the Sensational Sixties. This Super Reunion will be held October 9-11, 2020, at Pipestem Resort State Park.

For many years the Fabulous Fifties have held reunions every two years at Pipestem. When they last met in October of 2018, they voted to extend an invitation to the Sensational Sixties classes to join them in 2020 for a Super Reunion. Friends, this could be big! How wonderful it will be to re-connect with friends from all those classes who share one common characteristic……memories of our days “on the hill”.

So, here are the details. There will be a gathering in the Hudkins Convention Center in the Pipestem Lodge on Friday evening, October 9. Heavy hors d’oeuvres will be served. On Saturday morning, October 10, there will be a golf tournament for those who would like to participate. At noon there will be a picnic, the place being determined by the weather. Beginning around 4:00 Saturday, individual class pictures will be taken. A schedule of times for the pictures will be available so that you can be sure to be on time for your class picture. Then on Saturday evening there will be a buffet dinner, followed by a dance. Music will be provided by a DJ. On Sunday morning, October 11, we will gather once more for a buffet breakfast, followed by “The Meeting” of all in attendance then to vote on the next reunion. We will then say our farewells.

Ron Thompson from the Fabulous Fifties, class of ’57, has been the chairman and treasurer of all their previous reunions. He will notify all of the class representatives who are doing the communicating with their classmates around the first of August to let us know what the cost per person is going to be to attend the reunion and will give the address to which your checks are to be mailed. Right now a tentative estimate is $115 per person. Because we must use Pipestem’s food service, about $95-$100 of this estimated $115 is going to food, taxes, and gratuities. The remaining part of the $115 goes toward the cost of the DJ for Saturday night, decorations for the weekend, and a thumb drive for all attendees that will contain all class pictures and the contact information that has been provided for each class by their representatives. There will be a deadline for this information to be submitted, and it will be needed several months in advance. There will also be a deadline for all money to be received by Ron. He will have to let food service know how many to plan for at the four different “food functions”, so the deadline must be strictly enforced. So, you will be notified by your class’s representative once Ron finds out the food cost around the first of August. That will give you about two months to get your check to him.

Most importantly now, you must make your own reservations at the Pipestem Lodge. The number for the Lodge is (304) 466-1800. When you call, tell the reservations clerk that you are attending the Fabulous Fifties/Sensational Sixties Super Reunion October 9-11 to get a 10% discount. A large number of rooms have been reserved for the reunion, but they could all be taken soon when the word gets out. Ron asks that, if you should make a lodge reservation but find out close to reunion time that you can’t come, do not cancel your room until you call him to see if there is a waiting list of people who need a room. That way, arrangements can be made for your room to be used by someone needing a room who is coming to the reunion, rather than putting your room out to the general public. Ron Thompson’s home number is (434)971-4560.

This is a wonderful opportunity to get reacquainted with Welch High School classmates and friends to reminisce about our time at our dear school and the experiences we shared growing up. Please give this reunion much consideration and make plans to come. What you can do to help is to spread the word about this reunion to anyone you know from any of the classes of the Sensational Sixties. I haven’t found anyone to be the class representative for the class of 63 and not sure yet about 61. But I think the other classes of the 60’s are covered now. The class rep must have a contact list and e-mail addresses for all members of their class. I am taking care of the class of 64. Something else you can do to help is to let your class representative who sends you this e-mail know if you are planning to come. If you have any changes in your contact information, you can let your rep know that also. Your class rep will have to notify you again around the first of August to let you know how much to send in a check and the address to which it is to be sent. Please help spread the word! I will be putting a public post on Face Book soon about the reunion as well.

One last thing for members of THE Class of ’64. If you plan to attend, please let me know so that I can compile a list of those from our class who are coming. If any of your contact information has changed since 2017 and you haven’t given those changes to me, I need to update my files on our class. You can call, text, or e-mail me with any changes. Thanks!

I look forward to seeing many, many of my classmates and friends at this wonderful event. I promise that you will be blessed if you attend. If you need further information or have any questions, you can call me (Pam Miller Rose) at C: (304) 320-6177 or Ron Thompson at

H: (434) 971-3560. Again, Pipestem Lodge number is: (304) 466-1800.

Let’s make this reunion the absolute biggest and best that Welch High School alumni have ever had!

Sincerely,

Pam Miller Rose

WHS Class of ‘64

WHS Class of 1961 contact rep NEEDED

If you are willing to help gather address info, etc. about the class of 1961 PLEASE contact Pam Miller to volunteer to be representative for our class.

Update

This is an informational update to the upcoming 50s 60s reunion. First of all if you plan to go (even if you are just THINKING about going), I suggest you go ahead and make a reservation at PipeStem. It's a very busy time of year for them and their rooms go quickly.
Next, I wanted to share this letter from Pam Miller:

Dear classmates and friends of Welch High School classes of the Sensational Sixties,

It has been brought to my attention that I incorrectly listed the phone number of Ron Thompson near the top of the second page of my letter about the Super Reunion of the Fabulous Fifties and the Sensational Sixties that you received from me a few weeks ago. However, I listed his correct number near the end of that second page. I apologize for the confusion, and I should have been more careful in proofreading. Ron’s correct home phone number is (434) 971-3560. Please make this correction on your letter from me.

I hope you are considering attending this Super Reunion and are making those lodge reservations while they are still available. Please let your class’s representative know whether or not you are coming. That will help us with the planning. If you have any questions, call Ron or me. Hope to see you at Pipestem October 9-11.

Pam Miller Rose

Class of ‘64

(304) 320-6177