Return to Website

Canadian Bank Rant Forum

Note: As of May 31, 2008, the forum is now a read-only archive.

Click here for the Compass Rose archive.

Click here for the POTC Interactive Project's homepage.

Canadian Bank Rant Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Introducing Jordy Farrell

For those of you who would like to see Johnny in more Westerns, I would like to introduce you to my novel, MAIL ORDER COUNTESS and its hero, Jordy Farrell.

Now, when I first started writing the novel, I was very shy about writing sex scenes. So I decided early on to write the book for the Christian romance market.

I have since changed my opinion about writing salacious sex scenes after successfully writing FROM HELL TO HEAVEN.

So I would like to poll all of you: Should I keep the story the way it is, and maybe get it published sooner (and Johnny doesn't enjoy being the romantic lead anyway), or should I rewrite the novel and make it graphically sexy?

Oh, I suppose I should tell you the premise. Well, in the interest of copyright protection, I would rather not post the premise here, but if you'll email me I will be happy to send you a synopsis of the story.

I will tell you that it takes place in 1871 in Oregon Territory during the Modoc Indian uprising and also involves a clandestined arranged marriage between an English Countess and a philandering English social climber - and gets sticky when you add a slightly deranged Southern belle and a handsome homesteader who runs a horse ranch.

I wonder if you can guess who I modeled the heroine and Southern belle after? I hadn't really considered who to model the social climber after, but Tom Hollander would be a good candidate!

Kyrila

Re: Introducing Jordy Farrell

Well, I've always read "write what you know." If that were the unbreakable rule then Jonas would be quite a different pirate! (I have one h*ll of an imagination!! LOL)

BUT...it's ALWAYS best to write what you're most comfortable writing. If you're not comfortable writing love scenes, it will show and neither do the book, as a whole (nor the characters) any good at all...

Location: Who Knows? Jack Has Got the Bloody Compass & Guess Where Jack Is?

Re: Re: Introducing Jordy Farrell

I'll let the writers on the forum help you with this one.....

Well, it HAS been awhile since I've known a man in the Biblical sense, but if any volunteers for research come forward.... LOL

Anyway, I'm more comfortable writing those scenes now than I was when I started writing the novel, but I don't know if I want to put those characters in that situation. It's a sweet book, the way it is, but it might not be what Christian publishers are looking for either.

Kyrila

Hon, I second that! Your work must feels right for you, if you know there is a market for your book without the sex scenes and it is the market you wrote the book for- well, there's your answer! Helen was told to write Sea Witch for teenagers but it wasnt right! Jesamiah is a full-blooded pirate with all that entails! When she re-did it as an adult novel, the book sprung to vibrant and wonderful life.

So, follow your own star and I really hope Jordy's adventures does brilliantly!

Exactly! You know who you are writing for! So dont mess it about now.... Changing it now would be like writing about my vamps with no fangs! (calm down, Jaz...I have no intention of changing one hair of your beautiful head, let alone those fangs!)

Someone gave me some great ideas today for punching up the sub-plot action which I can't wait to incorporate, but still, I'm not sure if Christian publishing houses will go for my style of writing - while I completely avoided any undressing and intercourse, the kissing might be too passionate for that market. In one scene I have the minister throwing a bucket of water on the couple to cool them off!

Kyrila