Return to Website

The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board

***** ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE JUNE FLASH******

THE 78TH DIVISION VETERANS ASSOCIATION  IS  IN THE PROCESS OF DISSOLUTION BUT THE WEBSITE WILL CONTINUE !!!

See details under recent posts

Forum: The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Pvt John W Madara

I realize this is probably a long shot, but I am interested in any information on my uncle, John W Madara, a private in the 310th Infantry, 78th Infantry Division who was killed on February 21st, 1945.

I have recently taken a more active interest in family history, but have few sources of information on my uncle, who was killed nearly 10 years before I was born. I have found some very informative descriptions of the actions of the 78th Division in "The story of the 310th infantry regiment, 78th infantry division in the war against Germany, 1942-1945." Included in this is a detailed description of the days right around the time he was killed.

I searched the archives of the message board here and saw that his name was on a list of soldiers killed in action for whom their company is not recorded. Unfortunately I do not have that information either.

If anyone knew him or has any additional information I would greatly appreciate it. I will check back here for responses, or please feel free to contact me by email. In case anyone is interested, below is a link to his page on findagrave.

best regards,
Bob Knabb

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=51907157

Your location (optional): United States

Email  
Re: Pvt John W Madara

Robert,

You should obtain his IDPF [Individual Deceased Personnel File] from the Army. It may give you details of his death and personal information.

This will be a Freedom of Infomation Act request [FOIA]

mail to:

Department of the Army
US Army Human Resources Command
1600 Spearhead Division Avenue
Fort Knox, KY 40122

Attn AHRC FOIA

Give his DOB/DOD and ASN[33618047]. Be sure to mention your relationship to the deceased. If you find out his company, I would be interested in that info.

Regards,

Jim Cooper

Your location (optional): Ohio

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Free Web Hosting   Cheap Domains