Return to Website

The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board

***** ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE JUNE FLASH******

THE 78TH DIVISION VETERANS ASSOCIATION  IS  IN THE PROCESS OF DISSOLUTION BUT THE WEBSITE WILL CONTINUE !!!

See details under recent posts

The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for info on Ira J. Crane

If anyone can offer information on my grandfather, Pvt. Ira J. Crane, I would be thankful. His service number was 6928650, he was from Etowah County in Alabama. I have found that he was a member of the 310th I company. He was killed in action on 04/07/1945. I would like to know where they were and and any other information that is available. Also, is there any place to find photos or footage? If anyone has anything that can help please email me: bryan.crane@carrollcountyschools.com thank you.

Your location (optional): United States

Re: Looking for info on Ira J. Crane

Mr. Crane,

I saw your post on the 78th Division website. I found your grandfather listed in the Honor Roll in my father's copy of the History of the 310th Infantry. Your grandfather was killed in the Ruhr Pocket Engagement, which was fought from April 6, 1945 to April 17, 1945. The only other information listed for him was his address: Rt. 3, Henagar, Ala. According to the History, Company A, B, and C were attacking/fighting near Niederndorf; Company I, K, and L, near Wittershagen moving toward Morsbach. Company E was near Plittershagen moving north; and Company F and G, East of Steeg, moving north toward Friesenhagen. It appears that if listed on the Honor Roll, they are not listed elsewhere in the History. In reading another thread, someone mentioned contacting the probate office (perhaps county clerks office?) where the soldier was discharged for a copy of his discharge papers, which will list company/unit he was with. Worth a try. Wish I could be of more help. Good luck in your search.

Your location (optional): Oregon