Return to Website

The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board

***** ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE JUNE FLASH******

THE 78TH DIVISION VETERANS ASSOCIATION  IS  IN THE PROCESS OF DISSOLUTION BUT THE WEBSITE WILL CONTINUE !!!

See details under recent posts

The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Camp Butner Society needs your help! Trying to open our museum

My name is Michael Mercier and I work with the Camp Butner Society, a 501c3 nonprofit dedicated to telling and preserving the story of Camp Butner and the soldiers, civilians and POWs that came through our gates from 1942-1947.

We are working hard at opening a museum to tell the Camp Butner story, but trying to do this so long after the end of the war can be difficult. That's why we are reaching out to veterans and their families to make this a reality.

We are looking for any photos of the camp, camp souvenirs or documents. We are also looking for items belonging to the soldiers that were here whether it be uniforms, medals or even "bringback" German items that came home as souvenirs.

The society is also looking for copies of The Flash. Earlier this year we had secured a donation of every edition since the first print, but we sadly lost contact with the potential donor.

Any donation is tax deductible and we can provide forms to assist with that. We will also gladly accept monetary donations which can assist with the restoration of our future museum building. Right now, we are planning an opening of our temporary museum at the original Camp Butner sports arena this Veteran's Day but our permanent museum will be in the last building original to the Camp but seventy years of neglect, abuse and North Carolina summers and winters has taken its toll.

If you can help us, please feel free to contact me at butner.museum@gmail.com and visit our official Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/CampButnerSociety . We frequently share stories, photos and updates of the museum progress.

Thank you so much for your time!

Michael

Your location (optional): Butner, NC

Re: The Camp Butner Society needs your help! Trying to open our museum

My father was in the 78th and servedn in the European theatre. My brother and sister have several items we might donate to the museum included are a 1923 lugar complete w holster and spare clip several German pathces and a lightning book. Please contact me if these are items that would intrest your efforts.

Re: The Camp Butner Society needs your help! Trying to open our museum

Message sent. Thanks so much!

Michael
Camp Butner Society

Your location (optional): Butner, NC