Return to Website

The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board

***** ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE JUNE FLASH******

THE 78TH DIVISION VETERANS ASSOCIATION  IS  IN THE PROCESS OF DISSOLUTION BUT THE WEBSITE WILL CONTINUE !!!

See details under recent posts

The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Taps

I regret to inform the 78th Infantry Organization of the passing of PFC, John V. Amedeo 309 reg, Co, C he passes away this morning 4/1/2016.
I called him Uncle John, he was a real hero to us all. My Condolences, John Rea.

Re: Taps

You wrote: Hello Greg, I don't know if you remember me, I sent you an email years ago in regard to A. Lincoln. I told you of my "Uncle" who had related to me knowing an A. Lincoln who had relieved him on the second floor of a building or barn, and subsequently, that structure being hit by a mortar or some other explosive device, thus killing your Uncle. Well, I am sad to report that my "Uncle" has passed away this morning.
Best Regards, John Rea.

My reply:

I am saddened to hear about your uncle’s passing.

Sorry. I vaguely remember your email and now that you bring it up, what happened that day is clearer once again.

They had occupied the Farm at Frankenforst run by the Univ of Bonn. It is still there and I have been to it twice now. The Germans had it zeroed in for mortar and 88mm fire. The C-co men didn’t have a chance. I have several letters written to me about it, and they all correlate. As you know, those stories are linked here at http://www.78thdivision.org/Stories012013.htm under “Stories”

Please accept my deepest condolences on your loss. What fine men all these guys were.

Sincerely,

Gregory Andrew Farrell