Return to Website

The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board

***** ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE JUNE FLASH******

THE 78TH DIVISION VETERANS ASSOCIATION  IS  IN THE PROCESS OF DISSOLUTION BUT THE WEBSITE WILL CONTINUE !!!

See details under recent posts

The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Veteran from the 78th 311 Regiment

I’m trying to identify a WW2 soldier from the 311th that was from the Hammond Indiana area. He was transferred to the 1st infantry Div after the war. My son and located an Ike Jacket. He won a bronze star but I’m sure many did from the battle of the bulge. Any direction appreciated

Re: Veteran from the 78th 311 Regiment

What is the laundry mark?

Your location (optional): ohio

Not sure what that is or where to look for it

inside collar area. Will be alpha letter followed by 4 digits; letter is first initial of last name and numbers are last four of serial number.

T/Sgt John Cmar of I/311 was from Gary, IN; earned Silver Star & PH; His laundry mark would have been C9572
S/Sgt Heny J. Cecil of K/311 was also from Gary, IN; laundry mark C9549
Every soldier who earned the Combat Infantry Badge was awarded a Bronze Star for merit after the war.

Your location (optional): ohio

There don't seem to be any marks anywhere on the inside.

Here are pictures of the jacket:
https://imgur.com/gallery/hPedd

Your location (optional): Chicago

After a search of the 78th Infantry general orders, there are 260 hits for the word "Illinois" of that, I'm not sure how many are just with the 311th and just relating to the Bronze Star. That would take a little more digging at the moment. If we can determine who it belonged to we can even come up with a citation for his actions that awarded him the medal.

I emailed you earlier and hope you can get back with me.

Mike
Camp Butner Society

Your location (optional): Butner, NC